Small hollow form

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dalboy

Established Member
Reaction score
One of the branches that I ask for wood ID of I turned into this small hollow form.
Maybe easier to ID the wood now.

C&C welcome on the hollow form.

And the trunk/branch

I think the wood is cherry, maybe wild cherry (gean) known as merisier here in France.

Lovely piece by that way :)

nicely hollowed under the rim there......well done. It does have a look of cherry in colour. The bark doesn't at first glance but if you look closely it does have some of those characteristic lateral lesions that are all over cherry trees. So I guess it could be but personally I'm not anywhere near 100% on that. My original thought was hazel based on the bark and I guess it could still be but the colour is a little dark for Hazel. My experience of hazel is that its a very light coloured wood.

Its a nice turning though, I'm useless at hollowing so I appreciate the skill there :)

I would Plum for Cherry. Nice bowl =D> , may I ask what tool you use to hollow it out looks like a good finish you have there =D>

Thanks all the wood is quite light the finish has darkened it a bit, I have some cherry and it is more reddish for want of a better word.

winemaker":2h2rgfib said:
I would Plum for Cherry. Nice bowl =D> , may I ask what tool you use to hollow it out looks like a good finish you have there =D>

I think I went for a over kill in the tool I used for this as I had a play with my new crown revolution hollower. I don't think you would want to try and turn anything smaller than this with it. It hollowed it in second rather than minutes and left the inside nice and smooth straight off the tool.

One day I will get around to using the crown in anger :lol: :lol:

All the cherry I have turned (it was all flowering cherry, not wild cherry) smelled very sweet, when green it smelled of Cherry Pie, Did this have a similar smell? I would have guessed Plum or Damson, but Cherry is equally possible, definitely a Prunus species anyway.

Nice little item whatever it is!

KimG":3de1nkgg said:
All the cherry I have turned (it was all flowering cherry, not wild cherry) smelled very sweet, when green it smelled of Cherry Pie, Did this have a similar smell? I would have guessed Plum or Damson, but Cherry is equally possible, definitely a Prunus species anyway.

Nice little item whatever it is!

Definitely not cherry smell I am half way through turning a small pot/lidded bowl where the bowl part is cherry and that has a distinctive smell to that. Thank you for your thought on it all the same. I must admit that the bark has that look of the cherry family or something similar.

Glad you liked the little pot

I really like that. It would look good with a lid shaped like the top of an apple and stalk.

Back