Small cherry logs

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AndyNC

Established Member
Reaction score
I guess this has been asked before but I'm going to be cutting down a few small cherry tree's ( 4 to 6" dia). Is this wood likely to be any good for small things such has tool handles, decorative items etc or will the wood be to soft.

I'll like to find out now rather than cutting it down and storing for a few years.

Many thanks

Andy

Excellent wood if you can dry it without splitting.

Best time to fell is winter and before the sap starts rising, getting a bit late this spring.

Seal log ends immediately, keep in as long a length as possible as long as possible, do not remove bark.

Regardless of how you intend to convert it, I repeat, seal the end grain immediately.

Store out of direct sunlight and shelter from rain soak, slow drying in log form as much as possible.

If the sap has started rising then it may be best to split logs along their length through the centre pith, again seal the ends but leave the cut face open, this will allow shrinkage movement with reduced risk of core or peripheral splitting.

Many thanks.

A couple of them were chopped down to a 3ft stump a year ago and may not be any good. One is still growing and the other was pruned to nothing late last year. The timing is going to be controlled by when we sort out the garden so from what you say I'll cut down now and your second option a see what happens. Either way is better than a bonfire.

Cheers

Andy

Back