small bench mounted router table

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kityuser

Established Member
Reaction score
I have a B&Q router table *shudder*, its the biggest pile of ali rubbish that I have ever used, what was I thinking when I bought it (a few years ago now).

infact its SO bad that its a bit of an insult to my gorgeous Freud router thats slung under it. SO the time has come and I`m gonna take the plunge and make myself a bench mounted router station.

any ideas from you guys? threads to point me towards. Everyone "these days" seems to make flashy floor mounted ones with even fancier draws, I`m gonna try to stick with a basic design..... a big slab of kitchen worktop that I`ve inherited, a fence scavenged from the B&Q monstrosity a router plate inherited from a relation and copious amounts of 18mm ply left over from my workshop "hutch" project.

I really want it to be compact (as space is limited in my shop) but not too small to be unusable, any ideas on size? I see some of the axminster ones are around 3' x 2' for the top...........

I made a really quite beginners effot on sketchup for the workshop hutch, maybe I`ll have a better go for the router table.

Steve

Hi,

I'm thinking along your lines as well. The router guru Pat Warner seems happy with a 2 foot square top. Looking at the Jeff Greef link above, I think 20" square as a bench top mounted affair would be comfortable for the majority of smaller workshop jobs. That design does make it all very "accessible". My existing MDF "clamp in a Workmate" top is 2 x 3 foot and usable, but it does make for a cramped workshop when it's set up. And it's a bit low for use with a bad back :oops: Up on a workbench, I think 2 x 3 might be a bit too large. I suppose it depends how much access you have to the rear, or around the bench in general

Boz

I did this to save space with my router table. It slides out when needed.
RouterTable.jpg

Routerintable.jpg

Doing it this way saves space and makes the router table very accessible.

Paul

I've got the B and Q table with a big Triton fitted to it. I threw the fence away as that really was rubbish. The table itself is not too bad - it's flat enough and I mostly use a batten and some G clamps for a fence. I have a couple of bits of beech screwed to the underside of the end overhangs so clamping is easy.

I'd like a decent router table but keep thinking I have nowhere to put one. I keep the BnQ one under a bench and just clamp it to the work surface when I need to use it so it takes no space. Quite like the raised working level when it is on the bench.

I too have a slab of kitchen worktop that I've kept for a table. doubt I'll use it unless I see some space saving ideas that aren't too much bigger than the BnQ cheapie.

edit - and as I type one appears above:)

I have an 8ft x2ft table that is so useful I don't want anything mounted on it. I guess a lift on lift off version might be an option. Does the wood or formica work surface make a big improvement over lightly waxed BnQ aluminium?

kityuser":fglf5exu said:
I have a B&Q router table *shudder*, its the biggest pile of ali rubbish that I have ever used, what was I thinking when I bought it (a few years ago now).

infact its SO bad that its a bit of an insult to my gorgeous Freud router thats slung under it.

I can sympathise - my nice shiny yellow dewalt router is stuck in a "biggest pile of rubbish" screwfix plastic table - I too am shortly venturing down the build route. I havent decided on bench top or floor standing (but on wheels) so i shall watch this thread with interest

Space is short in my shop as well, so like others on this forum my router is built into my table saw, worth considering Steve, assuming that you have a TS of course.

Roy.

Digit":2vncxp82 said:
Space is short in my shop as well, so like others on this forum my router is built into my table saw, worth considering Steve, assuming that you have a TS of course.

Roy.

I do indeed roy, as the name suggests I have a kity (419).
I have considered it, BUT I have the extension table kit from kity which is pressed steel, and I'm not really a great metal worker :lol:

I'll have a play with sketchup and post my master plan...

Steve

My TS is cast iron, so I had to fork out some shekels, but it was well worth it.

Roy.

Here's one I built last year:

3563982083_a3099d3fd8.jpg

It's a benchtop model, made almost entirely from 18mm MR MDF, with a top measuring 600mm x 450mm, laminated on both faces with white Formica. Aluminium plate came from Tilgear and the NVR switch is from Charnwood.net. In all, I think I spent about £100 on materials, excluding the Freud router :roll:, bolts, studding, knobs etc.

Yes, it is a benchtop model. I think the height to the top of the table is about 370mm... Whatever it may be, it's made to fit in the space below my mitre saw. :wink:

Back