slimline pens

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wallace

Established Member
Reaction score
I have been turning a few pens out of pitch pine which came from my old school which the local authority recently demolished. I was part of the campaign to stop it but we failed. I made 25 pens and thought that would be enough. Was I wrong. They went in 24hrs so I bought another 50 penkits. Now I have till Wednesday to do them because I'm having surgery on Friday so will be out of action for 6 weeks

Here you go, the school was opened the day after the titanic sank, and was a much loved piece of the town. They are going to build houses on it. bas****s :( The brick the pens are on was from inside, I managed to salvage about 400 of them. They are famous because the school was where inspector george gently was filmed

That's a great shame, that you lost the building. We had a school near us which was burned down in an arson attack. The local clowncil vowed to keep the original sandstone façade as it was very beautiful, then bulldozed it flat before building a monstrosity from cardboard and snotters. They claimed it was too far damaged, but I know from one of the structural engineers there was no attempt made to investigate saving the building. After that lie was exposed, they claimed it was a mistake made by the demolition contractor.
One of the great ironies in your situation is if the salvage had been available it could perhaps have been sold to fund a campaign to keep the building.
Another great shame is those wally bricks will probably never be produced in large numbers again.

So true councils and councillors have a lot to answer for. We even got a group to put in a community right to bid so we could buy the school, they just ignored us until after the demolition. They claimed it needed £3m worth of work to bring it back up to school standard. When we eventually got the condition assessment carried out by a council employee it was full of hundreds of over exaggerated items like door sticking, £70 to plane abit off, worn carpet etc. We have a retired quantitive surveyor on our team and he went through the report. It was over exaggerated by £2.5m. They then went and spent £11m tarting up a 1950's monstrocity of a school. They went and gave 3 schools and land to a trust which is a ltd company assets worth maybe £50m. It makes my blood boil just recounting the things they have done :evil: That is why I am doing the pens to raise money so the culprits can be brought to justice.

All council managers/leader/decision makers have their noses in the public sector money trough.

If any council was put into the private sector they woud be bust within a few months and all peeps looking for a job, and not getting one.

They are just looking after themselves ....

Just like contractors to the NHS that get paid £15,000 for a small toilet/sink refurb measuring 8 by 4.

Makes my blood boil too ........ £1,500 would be appropriate ...

I have to concur regarding trough snuffling clowncil members. We have no ASDA in our town despite the chain submitting many applications in the last 20 years or so. On one occasion they were refused on the grounds, "There is already an over-provision of supermarkets in the area." Less than 6 months later, Sainsbos built on the same site because the paid into some community fund that paid for new schools and upgrade to the local community centre.
Since then ASDA has had at least 3 applications rejected for similar reasons, yet Waitrose, Aldi and Lidl have all had applications approved and brand new stores built.
Odeon group had a planning application for an entertainment complex rejected on the grounds they would not agree to provide a free bus service to & from the out of town site. A few months later the clowncil granted an application to Vue.
There are many more instances of skullduggery, most of which folk wouldn't believe - including the reason we have no cable services in our area

Back