Sliding Storage Unit

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AndyG

Established Member
Reaction score
One problem with a smaller workshop (read garage) is the lack of wallspace. Once you've got a few shelves up and the larger tools against a wall, there isn't much space left for tool racks.
After a bit of thought, I hit upon the idea of orientating tool racks perpendicular to the wall, on sliding panels. The major benefit is that you get a great deal more rack space than if you'd mounted the racks flat onto the wall.

Here's my almost finished sliding tool storage unit. It has 6 panels on the top, and 4 on the bottom. The difference, is so I can mount tools of different widths. Things like power tools can go on the bottom panels, whereas smaller items, like chisels, can go on the top panels.
unit.jpg

Each panel is mounted on a set of drawer slides. The slides are from screwfix. They are very handy for any kind of sliding project. The only problem with them is actually attaching them. The mechanism doesn't allow much space for a bolt or screw head.

Here's the slide mechanism
slider.jpg

One of the nice features of the slides is that they can be separated. This allows the panels to be removed, as shown below. This of course helps when it comes to attaching tools to the panels.
panel.jpg

So here is one of the panels slid out. The panels are a mix of 6mm MDF or ply. They were originally all going to be MDF until my local B&Q decided that they weren't going to stock large 6mm sheets anymore.
panelOut.jpg

I've not had much chance yet to actually attach many tools yet. But I managed to get a few attached before dinner!!
squares.jpg

I'm really looking forward to actually being able to put this unit to use. I've got far too many tools in boxes. It'll be nice to be able to keep them separate, avoiding edges knocking together and getting blunt. Maybe it'll also help keep the workshop tidy too.
More photos soon.

Andy

Andy,

Looks like a very good idea. :D I will be watching to see how it works when you fit lots of tools in. 8)

Andy,

That looks like a great idea. It will be interesting to see the subsequent photographs and how much stuff you are able to accommodate.

Space is always a problem. I have a double garage, but by the time I have housed the ladders, freezers (do we really need two, even though they are small ones :?: ), my son's motorbike, tins of paint, garden umbrellas, etc, etc, etc it soon starts to leave little room for all the woodworking stuff - and it must be a year since I put the car in there :(

Look forward to hearing how it all works out.

Paul

Andy, Thanks for the viewing and tips, I am going to put that one on my todo list and get hold of some polythene bags to fit and keep out the dust, might even put on some castors.

Andy, what an excellent idea. It would be interesting to see quite how many tools you can store this way in comparison to the more conventional cabinets.
With ref to DW's comment, have you thought about fitting doors of any kind - perhaps a roll up door?

Andy

More pictures when it's full? Is that a sneaky way of having a nose at my tool collection? :)
Today is competition project day, but I'm sure I wont be able to resist the temptation of fitting a few more items!!
As for doors? Well, they would certainly help with dust control, but I think they might be a later edition. As Andy suggested, it would have to be some kind of roller door though, otherwise I can imagine myself getting frustrated with having to move things I've put infront of the unit!!
Many thanks for all the kind comments.
Andy

Andy

Thats a great idea - well done

I'd like a nose at your tool collection - so more pics please

Cheers

Tim

I did a few sums to work out the gained space of storing the tools in this way.

Each panel is 16.5" x 31". There are 10 panels, so that gives a total panel area of 5115 inches squared.
The unit itself is 36" wide and 83" tall, so that is an area of 2988 inches squared.
So, this unit gives 1.7 more storage space than just a panel flat against the wall. Not quite as much as I'd expected, but I was quite generous with the 'flat area' calculations, including the unit's legs and structural frame. Anyway, this way you get the fun of sliding the panels in and out!!

Also, I knew I wouldn't be able to resist adding a few more bits.
squares2.jpg

Nice solution Andy - looking forward to more piccies as you fill it up :wink:

Latest posts

Back