Slide projector question

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
AndyT":2ivfv61p said:
You're making me feel old! But it's easy to forget that we haven't all grown up with this sort of thing at school.

AFAIK the older kit would have had a high wattage filament bulb which might have had an internal reflector or just a metal mirror behind it. The later models would have had a quartz halogen bulb which would have been physically smaller.

If you want something better I guess you could use an LED - there are some impressively bright ones around, sold as lights for night time mountain biking - but I do think it's an odd way to go if you haven't already got boxes of old transparencies you want to show.

Also, I notice that your projector says it's for film strips. This was a format using 35mm film in one long strip, not cut and mounted into individually framed images. You just turned a knob to wind on from one image to the next.

I remember it very clearly as it was the way we were taught French at school in the 60s/70s - endless scenes of stick figures asking the way to the baker's shop or the station, with a reel to reel tape providing the soundtrack.

You might need to find an accessory with a winder on it if you want to recreate all that fun!
Only thing similar to it at school was an overhead projector ;)
There was the exact film strip winder on thing on ebay for only 4.99 - only catch was it was still attached to the projector and was collection only :lol:
All the social networks, copy right issues etc this seems a great and annoying way to share/view special photos. I couldn't wait till after work and just opened the sample pack which seem really clear and vibrant !
vu9atade.jpg

the one on the bottom was the original one I tried. I thought the cat picture must have captured it looking at a fly- turns out it was a crumb from my toast :p I'll wait till its dark then have another slideshow evening/ few minutes :D
the other piece I bought on the same day was this piece for 2 quid
apubunem.jpg

the idea was to pinch the two toggle switches for a lamp idea, then perhaps make it into a wierd key cupboard. I keep getting this voice in my head telling me to see if it works. Looks easier to understand than the digital version over the workshop !

Coley

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

Plenty of scope there!

When I was about 14 my "clock radio" was a similar timer from an old electric cooker, wired up to a 13A socket, into which was plugged my valve-powered radiogram. It worked well, if I got the cooking time and ending time right, plus a bit for backlash.

It did take up quite a lot more space than a smartphone though...

Benchwayze":ka6m023m said:
Roger.

I am using 7 Premium. There is a virtual XP facility, but I have just got used to a trouble-free PC, and I don't want to upset the apple-cart! Canon do no drivers for Windows 7, so I intend getting an old 32 bit PC with XP installed. I believe once I validate it, I can use it off line until it gives up the ghost.) No need for updates then. :?:

i've downloaded that program Roger so thanks for that and I'll let you know how it goes. If it saves me more expense good-oh! :)

Is it a CanoScan 9xxxF scanner? I have the same problem. XP Mode does work reasonably well in Win 7 but is a bit slow. When I upgraded the laptop to something i5 based it made a big difference.

SimonB":2rguxfyh said:
When I upgraded the laptop ........ it made a big difference.
The key thing to scanner performance is available RAM. Use a 64bit OS to be able to access more than 3gb then add loads of RAM (16gb or more) and scanners really can deliver their best performance.

Hi Simon.

I don't have a model number for my Canon scanner. It's the model with the facility to scan in slides, and negatives. That's why I miss it, because I hadn't finished scanning negatives from my family album, going way back to the 1920s! In some cases it would be nice to have fresh prints of the photos. I suppose I can pay someone, or flog up on my old photography skills, from way back! :mrgreen:

Benchwayze":3uup67xd said:
Hi Simon.

I don't have a model number for my Canon scanner. It's the model with the facility to scan in slides, and negatives. That's why I miss it, because I hadn't finished scanning negatives from my family album, going way back to the 1920s! In some cases it would be nice to have fresh prints of the photos. I suppose I can pay someone, or flog up on my old photography skills, from way back! :mrgreen:

I converted a few old slides, the much simpler way - I got the slide projector out of the loft, projected the ones I wanted and photographed the screen with a digital camera. A bit of correction to get a square image and it was good enough - and there was no need to apply one of those trendy 'retro' colour editing effects!

Mine is a very elderly Canon CanoScan FS 4000 US which takes 35mm slide or negative, slides still in a mount, and even APS film rolls. Does 4000 dpi maximum.

After years of no use I've just dug it out and got it running perfectly in W7 with Vuescan and also in XP running as a virtual machine in Ubuntu.

I suppose I should now dig out a film camera and buy some film........... :)

Back