Sky Remote Record

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chris Knight

Established Member
Reaction score
In trying to sign up for this, I find that the box needs connection to a phone line. I did connect to a phone temporarily when setting up Sky plus but thereafter was able to disconnect it (it needed a long line extension, there being no handy outlet near the TV).

Does anyone know if I can use the service after setting it up without the phone line being connected? That is connect to sign up to Remote Record, thereafter no connection needed? I'd like the service but am not prepared to put up with a line trailing through the house to use it!

Doesn't the service require the telephone line to be connected permanently anyway? I know it's not needed in practice, but it might be for Remote Recording. My HD Skybox handbook doesn't even mention it.

If the remote request to the Sky box is sent via the satellite dish, it wouldn't matter, but I can't find out from their site for sure if that is so.

Ray

Ray,
I can use Sky Plus without the line being connected, just for normal watching/recording. I am however not clear where the phone line/ chipped card capabilities start and finish. Plainly, there is an element of "intelligence" in the card but whether a remote record request, once received by Sky is sent via a phone line to the customer's box, or via a coded signal to the box and actioned by the card, I don't know.

The phone line is a contractual obligation for the first 12 months only, but then you can take it out. It is used for the billing of Box Office movies/sports etc, but if it is unplugged then the box will store up what you owe up to a certain amount.

If you are unscrupulous then you used to (not sure whether it still works this way or not) buy Box Office movies with the phone unplugged until it won't let you buy any more, then stop and you will (or wouldn't previously) get billed for them. Only goes up to about £30 or so IIRC.

To answer the OP, this should answer your question

Cheers

Mark

Chris...in extremis..there are telephone extenders that work (occassionally, with a wing and a prayer and only if there is an 'R' in the month) using the mains as the means of connecting the phone line. You plug the remote into a spare socket by your Sky box and the other into a main socket near your phone socket. They are cantankerous to use, however.

SWMBO needs a phone connection to her TiVo and so I hook it up via a phone extension cable once a week to download the programme guide. Found the extenders just too iffy.

R

Bear in mind that if you have Sky Multiroom then you do have to have the boxes plugged into the phone line at all times - I think the idea being to stop you paying 'only' £10 for the second box and subscription and then taking it and using it at another address essentially giving a £10 a month cost.

A while ago we needed to have our phone socket available remotely and used one of these http://www.hip-ip.com/product/home-phon ... phone-jack which has a setting to allow use with media boxes; it worked OK with our Sky box. The only downside was that it won't transmit adsl signals. It basically is a DECT wireless transmitter and receiver and you can get extra receivers to give 3 or 4 extra remote sockets.

Misterfish

Latest posts

Back