Skewed

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Adam Pinson

Established Member
Reaction score
I really have a hard time trying to get a good edge on my skew chisels, could do with some skew school !

Hi Adam
I know what you mean. I’ve had similar problems. I have a Sorby Proedge, which comes with a jig for skew sharpening. Even that poses problems. It works well when sharpening one edge (when the tool handle is to the right), but when it’s reversed , the handle is fouled somewhat by the machine motor. I have to lay the belt horizontal to get anywhere near a sharpening position. I think it’s a bit of a design fault with this machine. Anyway, I have now stated to use my Record belt sander, holding the skew at what I think is an appropriate angle. It’s a bit hit and miss, but I can get some seriously sharp edges that way.
Someone else may be able to offer you better advice (that also might help me).
Best wishes
D

I use a diamond card to touch up the edges on mine little and often if it needs more work then O put it an the grinder to shape it and then return to using the card. Mine very rarely goes near the grinder now

Same. Rarely grind and when I do its on a toolrest, nothing fancy. I do have sharpie lines marked on the rest as an indicator of the proper skew-ness.

Then it's diamond card. The grind is slightly convex from my 6 in wheel so the card bridges the gap.

I doubt it's perfect but it does OK.

Thanks for the tips chaps, i'll probably get the hang of it one day, but there's going to be a lot of filings in between now and then..... i usually end up making the toe blue, then grind it off completely LOL.... the most difficult for me is the inch wide oval skew !! i do remember using the old sanding belt on chisels when i was on the construction sites, i'll give that a go again for sure, cheers all

Glue some 100 grit paper (assuming the tool is in reasonable condition, a bit coarser if not) onto an MDF disc and put it on your lathe. Skews, chisels and plane irons ground perfectly straight and flat.
I'll try that today, cheers Phil

Glue some 100 grit paper (assuming the tool is in reasonable condition, a bit coarser if not) onto an MDF disc and put it on your lathe. Skews, chisels and plane irons ground perfectly straight and flat.

Thats a good idea. I got a tool post attachment from Axminster that allows you to fit a platform. I'd imagine it would be possible to make a ramp/ angled platform to get a consistent bevel. Or, of course, do it freehand.

I must admit, I find skews difficult to sharpen on a bench grinder.

Attachments

• IMG_0280.jpg
    IMG_0280.jpg
    186 KB · Views: 9

Latest posts

Back