SK100 Chuck equivalent.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sarah250617

Reaction score
Hello,

I'm relatively new to wood turning and have not long received my new Axminster lathe and I need a chuck. The SK100 is the one that is compatible with this lathe but it is rather pricey. Is there an alternative as I'm sure I've read somewhere that there could be but now can't find the article.
Any advice would be gratefully received. Thanks!

Find the thread of your lathe- probably m33x3.5 if it is new, but possibly 1"x8.- Then a huge range of chucks are available. Axminster will obviously recommend their own.

The sk100 is about £140 when I looked online. You may get something a little cheaper, the record power ones for example. I haven't used those though.

I've got a Versachuck, now sold by Beaufortink.co.uk. outs a great chuck and worth appropriate jaw carriers, can accept jaws from almost all suppliers now.

I recently got a SK100, mainly for the ability to swap jaws whilst leaving the carriers on. Also, I wanted the wood plate jaws. Its a nice chuck, but agreed it is expensive and the supplied chuck key is absurdly short..making the 'long' one a necessary additional purchase:mad:
For alternatives:

Nova SuperNova 2..nice chuck and if you shop about, you can find bundles with extra chuck jaws for decent prices. I used to have one and can recommend it. Very similar to the Record Power SC4..so that's a recommendation also.

I still have a Record Power SC3, but that's more of an alternative to the SK80..but still a great chuck and pretty cheap.

I very briefly had a Versachuck but encountered a few issues with it so my experience is very limited with that. Worth considering though.

I had an Axminster lathe with a 1"x8tpi spindle thread, but wanted to future-proof my chuck incase I upgraded my lathe to a more modern machine with the more common M33x3.5 thread.

I bought the Record Power SC4 Chuck, as they sell inserts to fit almost any spindle size. I have also recently acquired a Supernova2 and a Sorby Patriot chuck, which all seem to me to be very good and worthy of recommendation, and all jaws from these three brands are interchangeable.

However, I went for the SC4 in the end as its the only chuck that will also accept a M33 insert. The other brands require you to buy a dedicated direct-thread chuck body for M33 size. so when I upgrade from my 1x8 spindle to a M33, I will have to sell all but the SC4 chuck.

Finally, I personally prefer the look, and function of the key of the Sorby, Nova, Record chucks, compared to the Axminster options.

Whatever you do, please avoid cheap chucks on well known auction and online shopping sites. These are often metalwork chucks without a scroll mechanism.
Of course you can pick up secondhand woodworking chucks like the SK100 et al on the auction sites too.
I got a K100 (predecessor to the SK100) locally for £15 including O’Donnell jaws on a well known social media market place 👍🏻

Whatever you do, please avoid cheap chucks on well known auction and online shopping sites. These are often metalwork chucks without a scroll mechanism.
That's a very bald & misleading statement ! The vast majority of metal working chucks are 3 jaw scroll type rather than 4 jaw independent - thought of course both exist.

It's also misleading to state categorically that metal working chucks can't be used for woodworking - they most certainly can - I use mine much more than my 4 jaw woodworking chuck which is OK but somewhat 'loose' on repeatability. Admittedly, I do use mostly 'soft' metalworking jaws, often with added Beech, Oak, Ash or Maple blocks fitted, and machine the jaws every time I re-mount the chuck.

That's a very bald & misleading statement ! The vast majority of metal working chucks are 3 jaw scroll type rather than 4 jaw independent - thought of course both exist.

It's also misleading to state categorically that metal working chucks can't be used for woodworking - they most certainly can - I use mine much more than my 4 jaw woodworking chuck which is OK but somewhat 'loose' on repeatability. Admittedly, I do use mostly 'soft' metalworking jaws, often with added Beech, Oak, Ash or Maple blocks fitted, and machine the jaws every time I re-mount the chuck.

You are right.
However seeing he is new to turning, I was sparing the OP the detail but I agree if you know what you are doing metalwork chucks, even those with independent jaws have a place in wood turning and can indeed be very useful pieces of kit. However, I see a fair few posts on social media where an inexperienced person has saved a few quid by buying a cheap 4-jaw independent metalworking chuck and can’t work out why it isn’t working like one they have seen on the videos or worse still keeps flinging wood around the workshop.

Find the thread of your lathe- probably m33x3.5 if it is new, but possibly 1"x8.- Then a huge range of chucks are available. Axminster will obviously recommend their own.

The sk100 is about £140 when I looked online. You may get something a little cheaper, the record power ones for example. I haven't used those though.

Forgot to post this the other day. The £140 price is just for a chuck and a key iirc, fair enough if the OP already has some Axminster jaws. For the basic 'starter' set (chuck, key, C jaws, faceplate ring and worm screw) its something like £180+. I think that's what I paid anyway.

I still have my SC3 'starter' set which is pretty much similar to what you get with the SK100 and it was about £100. Thats a smaller chuck but still decent.

I'd still recommend looking out for a SuperNova 2 bundle. A while ago, I ordered a SC4 set. Got a call from the place I ordered saying no stock but would I be interested in a SuperNova 2 bundle for the same price. Think I ended up paying £140 for the chuck and 3 sets of jaws (that also fit my SC3). Not a massive saving, but it was a nice chuck.

The reasons I got the SK100, was jaw choice and being able to remove slides. Its a really nice chuck, but as mentioned, expensive.

Of course, I was stupid enough to mention I'd got a SK100 on an Axminster live chat and was met with torrents of 'should have bought a 114':cautious:

I have an sk114 I think, was (still am) disappointed with it, Chuck works fine but it is a loose fit on the lathe spindle. It is not supported on the inside bush as it is bored too big. All the cheap faceplates from the same supplier are perfect.
Sometimes using a 6" face plate with wood screwed to it can be made to hold awkward workpieces.

Back