Site Tools for an Apprentice

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Digit":98gchd5u said:
I used to make 23 cups of tea, stoke the stove, fetch cigarettes and snacks and mix the day's supply of glue.

Roy.

Mix the glue!?! Luxury! I ad' to cut off me own arm, extract the bone, grind it up and boil it to make glue...

Dibs-h":1ynmal6b said:
woodsworth":1ynmal6b said:
A big boot so every time he needs a good kick his Foreman won't have to dirty his own boots. Another thing would be a very bright jacket so he can't hide.

I suspect Foremen are bit like critics... :wink:

Yep! Most of them couldn't do it, couldn't teach it, so they criticised.

Except my old foreman.

He was always on my side when the Works' Manager was on the warpath. But then the WM didn't like Arthur very much!

Oh the machinations of life in the workshop!
:lol:
John

I had two different foremen during my apprenticeship, the first one was a lovely chap, the second was, shall we say.... less so!
None the less I learnt a lot from him that stood me in good stead when I eventually rose to that exalted position!

Roy.

Digit":1x7jxndx said:
I used to make 23 cups of tea, stoke the stove, fetch cigarettes and snacks and mix the day's supply of glue.

Roy.

Those were the days Roy...

But now we have H&S Exec.

So:
There's Caffeine in Tea. Bad for you.
Burning wood makes Carbon. Bad for everyone
Smoking will kill you. Very bad for you!
Animal glue is a no-no, if you are an AR activist. Just a No-no, period.

So he better get some tools.

Seriously:

Just the basics.

Measuring, marking out, cutting, hammering, driving screws.

BUT! Don't tell any one what you have until someone asks.
That way it makes you look reasonably intelligent whilst allowing the gaffer some latitude to feel superior because you maybe didn't buy a plane! :lol:

And whatever you have, don't lend anything to anyone.

John

And whatever you have, don't lend anything to anyone.
Or as the Bard put it,
Neither a lender nor a borrower be as a loan oft loses itself and a friend and borrowing dulls the edge of husbandry!

Roy.

Or to put it another way;
Like the quality of Mercy, a friendship will never be strained?

:D

Shakespeare and me never got along I fear Roy. Marginally less so than GBS!

John :)

Shakespeare and me never got along I fear Roy.

Read Mark Anthony's eulogy for Caesar, or Henry V's St Crispin Day's speech, he'd make a fortune today as a political speech writer.
GBS was never mine neither, more Conan Doyle and and HG Wells for me!

Roy.

Seeing as though you're probably referring to second-fix carpentry/ first fix, he won't be doing mass, mass amounts of hammering as they use the gas nailing guns etc. I'm in Formwork myself , so we use the hammers a bit more tightening bolts (Dividags) and a lot of the shock from the standard/ old-fashioned hammers travels up the hammer and into the elbow. After a few years you start to feel it. I have a great estwig but it's very different style with a rubber structure so the elbow really doesn't take as much shock.
Everyones always going down my toolbag at work and things going missing or more than often being broken. It really frustrates me and out of order, usually laborers; gutting. :(

A few people have mentioned getting him a cordless screwdriver, but I wouldn't bother with that, he might decide after a few weeks he dosen't want to be a joiner, then she will have wasted a large amount of money. Just get the basic hand tools to start, then see how he goes. The amount of apprentces that only lasted a few weeks at my last job was unbelievable. It can be a bit of a shock going into that environment straight from school, especially on site! A lot of people don't want to spend any time with apprentices and see them as a hinderance to the job. So I would advice to him to keep his head down, show a willingness to learn and work, and not to answer back when someone is giving him a gobfull! Although he may be lucky and be somewhere where they value and look after there apprentices, in which case life will be a lot easier for him.

Although he may be lucky and be somewhere where they value and look after there apprentices, in which case life will be a lot easier for him.
Agreed, and he'd be right to go somewhere else. Some of the s''t the youngsters have to put up with is wrong. If he's with a bunch of ''''''' he'd be better to go somewhere else. Could waste years of his life learning nowt :evil: .[/url]

I suffered from that during my apprenticeship. Part of my time was in the tool room, which was a trade shop, with the men payed a bonus for how fast they worked, not a place to learn a great deal.

Roy.

Latest posts

Back