Site Tools for an Apprentice

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dibs-h

Established Member
Reaction score
No not me.

A friend's son is about to start an apprenticeship very soon and she was wanting to get him some tools. Although she wasn't able to give a great many details the one thing I was able to get out of her is that he will be on site as opposed to benchwork.

Any suggestions as to what his toolbag\box should contain at a bare minimum and what would be nice to have?

A big boot so every time he needs a good kick his Foreman won't have to dirty his own boots. Another thing would be a very bright jacket so he can't hide.

woodsworth":1keg2b57 said:
A big boot so every time he needs a good kick his Foreman won't have to dirty his own boots. Another thing would be a very bright jacket so he can't hide.

I suspect Foremen are bit like critics... :wink:

He wont need too much to start with as he will prob only be watching, tidying, lifting and making cuppas for everyone at first. But I would say a tape measure, a combination square, pencil, a hammer (go for a 20oz estwing), a hand saw, maybe a set of chisels (marples splitproof or bacho), maybe a level. The rest will be advised to him by whoever he is working with as and when he needs and when his skills develop.

its worth buying quallity tools from the start

heavy duty square
stanley fatmax 5m tape
estwing 20oz hammer
pencil
a pz2 and 5mm slotted driver, or a set, wera or stanley fatmax.
and a skanvik 244 saw
stanley knife

marples splitproof chisels
record no4 plane
600mm level (stabila)
cordless screwdriver

thats a good start there will be lots more to add as hes going along,
pry bar
pincers
hacksaw
lumphammer
bradawl
4" level
clamps
blockplane
coping saw
etcetc

yeah tie them down.

i got a new apperntice about 18 months ago and he didnt even bring a pencil :shock: :lol:

minimum is hammer, saw, square, pencil, and tape imo

Pencil tape measure and any old hammer will do him to start, make sure he understands mm it's no good coming out of school thinking that we measure in cm.

He'd be better off asking his new boss what he should bring. On one hand he could turn up with not enough and cause a bad impression and on the other he could turn up with a tool kit of shiny tools and be told the most he'll be using those chisels for is stirring 8 cups of tea ;)

I have to agree with Tom, it would, IMO, also demonstrate a willingness to learn.

Roy.

Oryxdesign":2hjp5a5f said:
Pencil tape measure and any old hammer will do him to start, make sure he understands mm it's no good coming out of school thinking that we measure in cm.

especially as we actually use inches and feet :D

Sandwiches?

Nobbut really, 'til he has a better idea what he's going to be doing perzactly he's best off getting together just a few basics as has been mentioned. One thing to bear in mind is that he is unlikely to be lent any tools from others on site.

Oryxdesign":1v1dgbng said:
make sure he understands mm it's no good coming out of school thinking that we measure in cm.

:lol: :lol:

Yeah - I'll have to point that one out.

His mum wants to buy him some tools as a present - so getting him to ask his boss might somewhat spoil the suprise. And if she rings his boss - I can picture that level of p2ss taking about the lad's mum buying everything for him - so it's a bit of an odd situation.

I'll pass on the suggestions - minus the one about the boots obviously.

Cheers

Dibs

If his mum wants to get him some tools, that's great. And good quality is important etc. etc. But how about suggesting that he doesn't take them all with him on the first day? All of those tools will be useful to him over time but he doesn't need to turn up with all his bling on day one. How about turning up with a pencil, a square, a hammer and a recognition that tea making is a priority for the first few weeks...

LocalOak":1g6roc0a said:
If his mum wants to get him some tools, that's great. And good quality is important etc. etc. But how about suggesting that he doesn't take them all with him on the first day? All of those tools will be useful to him over time but he doesn't need to turn up with all his bling on day one. How about turning up with a pencil, a square, a hammer and a recognition that tea making is a priority for the first few weeks...

I would say that is good advice.

LocalOak":pgfd50ab said:

Thanks - certainly is good advice and makes sense. As for the tea - I won't pass on my personal advice (which would be to say turnip off and make your own) :wink:

Tea making was supposed to be for two reasons.
One to allow the skilled meant to continue working,
and two, to instil discipline.

Roy.

Digit":1ekggwk6 said:
Tea making was supposed to be for two reasons.
One to allow the skilled meant to continue working,
and two, to instil discipline.

Roy.

I'm sure the tea drinkers (as opposed to tea makers) - can always justify it somehow. :wink:

I used to make 23 cups of tea, stoke the stove, fetch cigarettes and snacks and mix the day's supply of glue.

Roy.

Latest posts

Back