SIP sliding mitre saw advice needed

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pierhead

Reaction score
I'm looking for a mitre saw for a decking project and wondered if anyone had feedback on the SIP 01502. I've seen it on special offer for £190 with a free SIP stand.

How does it compare to the Dewalt DW718? (£425 as a factory rework).

My other thought is to get a FLIP OVER SAW DeWALT D27105 as I would like to be able to cut chainsawed tree planks into boards and battens for floors/decking and yurt framing. Any views on the pros and cons of this type of saw would be appreciated

thanks

Dan

Hi Pierhead, Welcome!

My neighbour has a SIP SCMS, but I'm not sure of the model number. It's 10", anyway. It's pretty good, especially if you fork out a few bob for a decent Freud blade. It's not in the same league as my Bosch, but then it's a third of the price.

The SIP stand is good, with easy on/off of the saw, using a couple of cranked handles, none of this messing about with dodgy saddles.

Biggest weakness is the absence of any kind of depth stop, although they may have changed the design since he bought his. For a budget saw it's a winner, certainly good VFM.

No connections etc, etc.

Cheers
Steve

I think it was only the earlier SIP SCMS models that didn't have a depth stop. Mine certainly has. I like this saw although I've no experience of any others so I can't make a comparison.

Strangely, mine has a 'red-eye' laser guide which was accurately set up out of the box.

Gill

The one I have has a basic depth stop ............. overall it's not a bad saw for the price but if I was buying again I'd definately go for a more expensive and better saw.

My main pet hate is the movement in the angle stops ........ you slide it round to a 90 degree cut it clicks in but there is still movement and I need to reset the pointer as it out

I keep meaning to have a look and see if I can do some modifications to improve it ........ but it keeps getting but back .... maybe one day

Ian

pierhead":zumujmpq said:
How does it compare to the Dewalt DW718? (£425 as a factory rework).

Hi Dan simply put ---it doesn't!!

the sip will be fine for occasional use, but as Nickson71 has stated the angle stops aren't great.
the dewalt locks positively every time and is solid.
the 12" flip-over saws are brilliant for site work and will do everything the scms will as long as you don't want to crosscut 16" boards
as for the sip stand again for occasional use its fine, but is quite heavy and the plastic knobs are very easily broken.

i have been down the road of buying cheaper power tools, its a false economy---
buy cheap buy twice,
there is nothing as expensive as a cheap tool.
you always end up wishing you had bought the more expensive one,
and when you eventually do, you are left with a tool that is hardly worth the effort of trying to sell it !!
i have the sip stand lying in the back of the garage wrecked from everyday use. not to mention the rest :oops:

you only get what you pay for :wink:
buy the dewalt you wont regret it :D

Thanks very much for the feedback.

I think it'll be the Dewalt saw for me and an improvised stand for now.

Great forum, keep up the good work!

Have you considered the Ryobi 254mm sliding mitre saw, Ebay do them for about £175, it cuts up to 300mm wide and 90mm depth plus Ryobi has a fairly decent reputation.

If you are thinking of cutting logs, the flip over saw will have a fairly small depth cut so you may be limited in what you want achieve.

Harry

I had the SIP 10" SCMS. With daily use it lasted 6 months. Use a Wadkin RAS now so didn't even bother trying to return the SIP. Couldn't recommend it.

Mark

Back