SIP saw wheel kit fitting problems.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lons

Established Member
Reaction score
Wheel kit delivered Friday so today I thought maybe half an hour or so to fit and then on to work on my extension roof - guess what, took me half a day to fit although a major part was digging out appropriate metal angle to adapt it.

I bought my 01332 5 years ago and hadn't realised they must have changed the cabinet design since.
Mine has 4 corner legs (one of the pics shows one still fitted), and although the instructions are a joke, the wheel kit clearly fits directly to the cabinet sides into some sort of pre-fitted tapped and reinforced holes which mine does not have.
#-o
So the solution was to remove the legs, reinforce the bottom of the cabinet with substantial section steel angle and fix to that. Only downside is it drops the table height by about 75 mm down to 800mm but I can live with that I think - time will tell. :duno:

Luckily I keep everything and had some framing from an up n over garage door which was a swine to drill out but cut up and cleaned nicely (will paint later). Next problem to find M10 and M12 nuts to fit the supplied bolts. Out with the "bits n pieces box" et voila!

Wheels fitted and very happy with the way it works though and I might pinch the idea and make something up for my Robland XSD310 p/t :-k

4512215050_9cbd0ca311.jpg

4512216180_857e4cf2d6.jpg

4511575863_c087c1018a.jpg

Lons - how heavy is the SIP in reality? Can it be broken down into manageable pieces for transport into the workshop easily or is it a three burly blokes kind of job to move it?

Steve

Sigh - weights vary from 150kg up to 250kg depending on which website you read. Thats also total weight - I want to know the weight of the heaviest single component as shipped to determine how many mates to pressgang into helping me shift it. Quite happy to break it down if it comes 'complete' but I doubt it does for shipping space reasons if nothing else.

Steve

StevieB":sjf75lv6 said:
Sigh - weights vary from 150kg up to 250kg depending on which website you read. Thats also total weight - I want to know the weight of the heaviest single component as shipped to determine how many mates to pressgang into helping me shift it. Quite happy to break it down if it comes 'complete' but I doubt it does for shipping space reasons if nothing else.

Steve

Steve I have the 12" model so weight's (220kg without the rear extention and the sliding table) maybe slightly heavier, but not by much, and two people removed the saw from it's box, put the base and feet on (it comes inverted in the box so that you can put it together) and turned it up the right way.

The only dodgy bit is putting the side extensions on, because being cast iron they are heavy, so if you can get an extra body just for this part (two to hold it and the other to bolt it together, it would be a bonus and make everything much easier.

If you are getting the sliding table and so putting both extensions on the right hand side, then make sure you put the legs on before you let it go, because otherwise it will tip over.

Lon, you should have given SIP or West Skeleton a ring to see if they have the correct four feet with the pre-drilled and threaded hole's to fit the wheel kit too, because I have the older model and mine has all the correct holes. So they must have given you the wrong parts in the first place.

Did they supply you with the long black bar in the picture below in which you fit the hook too? As you can see like mine, this has 4 bolt holes to allow you to connect it to the feet, where the new design in the picture below it has only got one hole.

06920.jpg

sip01332.jpg

As you can see the new model does still use's the same bar
sip01446.jpg

If I can help just ask.

Cheers

Mike

Mine came with the four little feet as well. I simply removed them and bolted a castor on to the triangular corner reinforcing plate.

Roy.

StevieB":2aahrt4w said:
Lons - how heavy is the SIP in reality? Can it be broken down into manageable pieces for transport into the workshop easily or is it a three burly blokes kind of job to move it?

Steve

Can't remember really but I know that 2 of us managed to turn it over and fit the extensions with a bit of effort. 5 years on and I bet it seems a damn site heavier :lol:

Mike

My saw had no holes in the feet and these were held on to the cabinet sides with only 1 bolt in each cabinet side (2 bolts per foot). I looked hard at these and decided they weren't strong enough to support the wheels.

The hook assembly was not supplied with a long bar of any kind and the instructions don't show one, in fact they seem to show the kit fixed to the cabinet sides, hence my original comment.

I,ve just been out to the bin and fished out the bits of box and part number is correct. box was stapled sealed and so not opened by WSS.

Also there is a "spare" bit (ain't there always :) ) which I assume is to hold the handle when not in use but it needs 2 of them to work.

I think I'm probably stuck with it and it works ok. if I find the height a problem, I'll re-fit the legs and reinforce them then weld my angles into a frame with the kit attached and re-fit it under the legs.

I will let WSS and SIP know however as it's very confusing and not as the details I looked at on the SIP website before ordering.

Mine came with the four little feet as well. I simply removed them and bolted a castor on to the triangular corner reinforcing plate.

Roy.

With the feet removed there was no reinforcement plate just seperate bottom of cabinet sides.

4515202781_ecb5c98bb4_b.jpg

4515839774_203773dfa1_b.jpg

4515840894_28ffab8c89.jpg

Bob

My saw had no holes in the feet and these were held on to the cabinet sides with only 1 bolt in each cabinet side (2 bolts per foot). I looked hard at these and decided they weren't strong enough to support the wheels.

Just a tringular plate the same guage as the cabinet, I used the two holes to bolt the 3 inch castors into. Been there for some years now.

Roy.

Digit":p5kaxfdh said:

Just a tringular plate the same guage as the cabinet, I used the two holes to bolt the 3 inch castors into. Been there for some years now.

Roy.

Yes Roy, the triangular plate on the bottom of each foot has 1 hole and I actually attached castors around 3 years ago but interestingly when I removed them I found that 2 of the triangular plates had distorted. The castors I fitted had spreader plates fixed with 4 bolts so the load was distributed. it was moved only occasionally so purely the standing weight of the saw which caused the plates to bend slightly.

Bob

Strange that Bob, I have had no problem in about the same period of time.
If the saw stands on feet and the feet stand on the floor, replacing the feet with wheels, correctly positioned, should cause no problem.

Roy.

Digit":2mfbrrie said:
Strange that Bob, I have had no problem in about the same period of time.
If the saw stands on feet and the feet stand on the floor, replacing the feet with wheels, correctly positioned, should cause no problem.

Roy.

May just have been inferior metal but not a problem really.

I actually bought several machines at the same time intending to set up my workshop properly but work just took off and I ended up working with hardly a break for 3 years so my saw, p/t and morticer are virtually unused but 5 years old :oops:
My spindle moulder was s/h and I just used the bandsaw or K5 when I needed something quickly.
I've built up a huge range of tools and machines over many years and I certainly daren't move house! :whistle:

My plans were to semi retire but the wifie has travel urges so best laid plans and all that :lol:

I've been poking about on the SIP site and they seem to list 2 different wheel kits but both with the same part number. there is best part of £40 difference in price so maybe I have the wrong one? - will follow it up with some phone calls.

Curiouser and curiouser :duno:

Bob

Lons":y0pgltq5 said:
StevieB":y0pgltq5 said:

Steve

Can't remember really but I know that 2 of us managed to turn it over and fit the extensions with a bit of effort. 5 years on and I bet it seems a damn site heavier :lol:

Mike

The hook assembly was not supplied with a long bar of any kind and the instructions don't show one, in fact they seem to show the kit fixed to the cabinet sides, hence my original comment.

I,ve just been out to the bin and fished out the bits of box and part number is correct. box was stapled sealed and so not opened by WSS.

Also there is a "spare" bit (ain't there always :) ) which I assume is to hold the handle when not in use but it needs 2 of them to work.

I think I'm probably stuck with it and it works ok. if I find the height a problem, I'll re-fit the legs and reinforce them then weld my angles into a frame with the kit attached and re-fit it under the legs.

I will let WSS and SIP know however as it's very confusing and not as the details I looked at on the SIP website before ordering.

Roy.

With the feet removed there was no reinforcement plate just seperate bottom of cabinet sides.

4515202781_ecb5c98bb4_b.jpg

4515839774_203773dfa1_b.jpg

4515840894_28ffab8c89.jpg

Bob

Hi Bob, my instructions were completely different and all I can think of is that it's either because I have the 12" model which unlike the 10" has always had an optional wheel kit, or mine is the updated design without the paint job :roll:
As it happends I have the same bit left over with no mention of it in the instructions ](*,) If you do give them a ring try and find out what it is for.

Anyway as long as you are happy with the saw then that is all that matters.

Cheers

Mike

Update on my problems with the wheelkit.

I used the saw on Monday to cut a fair amount of timber and found the table height was uncomfortable.

Telephoned WSS who were surprised to say the least and promised to contact the manufacturers following my email with details and pics. They assured me that a solution would be found and I would not be expected to make my own further modifications. They also passed my email to the guy at SIP who was responsible for initially importing the saw.

I then 'phoned SIP technical who were equally puzzled and asked for the same photos to be emailed so they could investigate.

Both companies were very helpful indeed and the ball is now in their court so we'll see what happens.

Mike - I forgot to ask about the "spare" part but it looks as if it's a wall mounted hanger for the handle. Don't know about you but I'd be hard pressed to find a clear bit of wall to hang it on :lol:

Bob

Lon wrote;

Mike - I forgot to ask about the "spare" part but it looks as if it's a wall mounted hanger for the handle. Don't know about you but I'd be hard pressed to find a clear bit of wall to hang it on

:lol: :lol:

Cheers

Mike

Lons":fzqlunec said:

Mike.C":fzqlunec said:
As it happends I have the same bit left over with no mention of it in the instructions ](*,) If you do give them a ring try and find out what it is for.

Hi Mike,

So obvious its easily missed :wink: A Pic is worth a thousands words,

resized003.jpg

resized001.jpg

Hi Bob,
Sorry to hear of your troubles with the wheel kit, i think you should have tried it on the feet first before going to all the trouble of fabricating a frame for it.
I have fitted a few of these kits to some of my other machines, (as they work a treat ) just by drilling two holes, again a pic or two,

Fitted to the spindle moulder,

resized005.jpg

resized002.jpg

Fitted to my big jet 20" bandsaw,

resized004.jpg

HTH.

Gary M":1h2v1v6z said:
Lons":1h2v1v6z said:

Mike.C":1h2v1v6z said:

Hi Mike,

So obvious its easily missed :wink: A Pic is worth a thousands words,

resized003.jpg

resized001.jpg

Hi Bob,
Sorry to hear of your troubles with the wheel kit, i think you should have tried it on the feet first before going to all the trouble of fabricating a frame for it.
I have fitted a few of these kits to some of my other machines, (as they work a treat ) just by drilling two holes, again a pic or two,

Fitted to the spindle moulder,

resized005.jpg

resized002.jpg

Fitted to my big jet 20" bandsaw,

resized004.jpg

HTH.

Hi Gary, many thanks mate. You are right, it is so bl$$ding obvious that you cannot see it. Or should I say that I could not see it because Bob guessed what it was for :roll:

Cheers

Mike

Hi Gary

I don't have that amount of wall space to hang the handle :lol:

If SIP sort out my problem then I intend to do the same as you and fit them to my P/T and s/moulder.
They do make it easy to move the machines around. Had castors before and was never happy with them.

"Sorry to hear of your troubles with the wheel kit, i think you should have tried it on the feet first before going to all the trouble of fabricating a frame for it."

I could have fitted the wheels to the feet (actually drilled a hole in one of them but decided it wouldn't work),but would still have needed to brace between the other feet for the hook as ot didnt come with a bar and was too high on the cabinet to work. I looked at every angle before making up the frame.

Just sent SIP another email as they haven't commented yet.

rgds

Bob

Back