SIP Planer-Thickenser info required

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gserghiou

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

This is my first post on this forum and i hope to come back with more ...

Im in Cyprus and an amateur woodworker (very basic) and i would like to get hold of a planer-thickenser.

My budge is limited to around 200 UK Pounds!!!
Ive seen many on ebay etc and i would like some info about the quality of SIP planers-thickenser, as they dont seem that expensive. However i do not want to get a cheap-nasty tool that will make my life more difficult and not be able to striaghten a piece of wood.

So how would you rate Lower end SIP Tools !!! Is it worth getting one or better giving a bit extra money for something else.

Also im planing on gettign an table saw and sliding miter saw (SIP Again)

If you have any information i would be glad to hear !!!

Thanks,

George
(Cyprus)

Hello George and welcome to the forum! :)

I have a £200 SIP 12" bandsaw and I'm very pleased with it. The most important part though, as with any tool, is to fit a decent blade or cutter in to it.

I know of people who are fairly pleased with their mitre saws as well. If it's a sliding one, make sure it slides on two rails instead of just one!

As for table saws, again, people seem to be very pleased with the larger £500-600 models. But, as with any brand, a smaller 10" saw with a value of around £200 is gonna be a waste of time.

Don't know much about their planer thicknessers, I'm afraid.

Hi OPJ,

as i mention before, am just an amateur. Actually i build some wooden (mahogany) spearguns for hobby with some very basic tools (a router, files, rasps, angle grinder+sanding discs) .

having our house build at the moment, and seing the 'low quality' job carpenters here in Cyprus do, i thought hey. i could do that...they just literally just screw the panels together making some chipboard or mdf cabinets.

so i made 2 of solid pine (got the wood place to cut the timber to the dimensions i wanted) and constructed myself two cabinets... they actually turned out to be just fine.

but i now see the need for something more and i could do with some power tools (so i dont rely on carpenters to do the jobs for me) and my budget is dictating that lower cost tools can only be obtained...

So ill hang out a bit more and maybe get the nudge and splash some money on the lower range of SIP tools.

Thanks for your help anyways,

George

I have a SIP 10" sliding mitre that is very good, though quite noisy due to the brush motor and I also have a SIP extractor that does the job. I believe the SIP P/T is similar to the Metabo and clones so should do a reasonable job

I guess you are referring to the 6x4 version and Id say it would do your job just fine. There is a nice little woodshop near me that only stocks SIP tools and I have a SIP Morticer and its really good for the money.

Hi All,

Please correct me if im wrong, but SIP tools are UK manufactured are they ???

im actually interested in getting a table saw, a sliding miter saw, perhaps a circular saw and also a planer (im interested in another brand of plaer-thickenser that is a more expensive one and hoping to get a good deal on ebay !!!)

but i think ill be 'investing' in SIP tools afterall !!!

George
P.S : Can you please tell me what legngth of wood would a 1 meter (infeed+outfeed = 1 meter) length planer plane ??? i mean, what is the theoretical maximum length of timber that the planer can straighten nicely ???

I doubt SIP are made in Britian to be honest.

As for the maximum length of the wood, if you use an infeed and outfeed rollers there really is no limit.

Back