SIP P/T Infeed Not Parallel to Outfeed

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ajayre

Established Member
Reaction score
OK, I know these machines have problems, but I got it for free and it's only been used a couple of times.

If I try to plane an edge of a piece of MDF it is either convex or not at right angles to the other edges. When I put a straightedge on the outfeed and infeed tables I see the infeed slopes down towards the cutter. It seems quite severe. The outfeed appears flat.

Looking at the infeed mechanism there are square metal blocks that slide in holes in the frame. This seems to be working fine.

Any suggestions on what fettling I need to do? Do I need to file the bottoms of the holes in the sides of the frame?

In the picture below the t-track can be seen getting closer and closer to the infeed as you look to the right. What you can't see is that it ends up touching the very end of the infeed.

Thanks, Andy

2014-09-14 12.52.25.jpg

2014-09-14 12.52.35.jpg

Attachments

• 2014-09-14 12.52.35.jpg
    2014-09-14 12.52.35.jpg
    193.5 KB · Views: 99
  • 2014-09-14 12.52.25.jpg
    2014-09-14 12.52.25.jpg
    104.5 KB · Views: 99
The cause of this: one of the four supports for the infeed table was badly fractured and now hanging and a downward angle. Every movement of the table from 0 to 3mm caused it to drag.

Are you able to get a replacement Andy? Assuming it's a separate part?

Without knowing the machine and how much stress is on the fixture, would it be possible to epoxy the piece back into place, maybe with the addition of some supporting metalwork around it?

I might try epoxying it, but rather perversely with the support removed the infeed table is now parallel to the outfeed table! So maybe I can continue to use it if I am careful.

Andy

Back