sip 01332 (assembly part two ,so far)

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I must admit this has got me thinking. How on earth would I get a heavy bit of kit into my workshop. Given that it used to be a garage I suppose it should be possible to work out a way to open the up and over door - now that would be a major challenge. It's a 'very' bumpy rough lane round to the garage door and there's no way on earth you'd ever get a pallet truck down there. Hmmm, might be less hassle to move house than try and get a heavy bit of kit in there :)

jlawrence":35iij7zs said:
I must admit this has got me thinking. How on earth would I get a heavy bit of kit into my workshop. Given that it used to be a garage I suppose it should be possible to work out a way to open the up and over door - now that would be a major challenge. It's a 'very' bumpy rough lane round to the garage door and there's no way on earth you'd ever get a pallet truck down there. Hmmm, might be less hassle to move house than try and get a heavy bit of kit in there :)

Wobblycogs is having a nightmare in his thread trying to figure out how to get a p/t into his cellar workshop :wink:

Cheers

Mike

hi guys

this is how you move something heavy about ,

whilst waiting for no 1 son to come home from work out came the sun at about 4 ish this afternoon , so quickly stripped the box apart and removed all the attachable part stored inside of saw, placed all inside the workshop , in the mean time my mate turned up so between the two of us we struggled to lift the remaining saw onto a large dust sheet i had folder over several times , once the machine was on the sheet we dragged it across my decking of about 20ft wide , when we got to the step which lead the way to the workshop ,i got some melamine boards slid it down that, laid some more board and slowly dragged it over the boards till we reached the workshop then up a step and into the workshop . phew

PDR_2257.jpg

PDR_2256.jpg

PDR_2258.jpg

PDR_2259.jpg

I feel much happier now it in the workshop under lock and key and out of the rain , sorry guys wont get much done till the week end now as i have hossi appointment tomorrow and thursday , so i'll keep you all posted as soon as i can . hc :lol: :lol: :lol:

Nice saw HC

:eek:ccasion5:

I've had 'fun' moving a few heavy machines, recently bought my self a pallet truk for £20! just needs the oil topping up.

JHB

jlawrence":2o3sy40t said:

Depends how 'bumpy' is bumpy. Out by workshop it's all 28mm stone and pallet truck wheels bog down. So I use two sheets of 3/4" shuttering ply and leapfrog them.

RogerS":3bvve5mf said:
jlawrence":3bvve5mf said:

Depends how 'bumpy' is bumpy. Out by workshop it's all 28mm stone and pallet truck wheels bog down. So I use two sheets of 3/4" shuttering ply and leapfrog them.

I only use my pallet truck in the shop,

but then i do have one of these.. :oops:

jcb.jpg

JHB

A bit late now, I know, but if you had wound the blade out a couple of inches and plugged it in, it would have dragged itself across your decking, no problem. :)

Stop messing about HC and let's see the first cut! :lol:

Roy.

I think you are lucky hc, when I bought my 12" version of the saw I had to hump it through the house as I have no drive living in a terrace! :shock: I was lucky though that my neighbour is a weightlifter. :D

The SIP looks like a much smaller package than my DEFT?

I made up a flat bogey using some largish castors and loaded the base onto
the wheeled base I had from Lyndhurst - made it much easier to move around but definitely a two person job?

Good luck with it hc

Rod

Harbo":1r27t9zp said:
The SIP looks like a much smaller package than my DEFT?

I made up a flat bogey using some largish castors and loaded the base onto
the wheeled base I had from Lyndhurst - made it much easier to move around but definitely a two person job?

Good luck with it hc

Rod

Hi Rod, It looks smaller because the base comes separate from the saw itself, whereas the deft is all in one. If you look at the third photo down under the warranty card and manual you can see the base in 4 parts.

Cheers

Mike

head clansman":5koq0cad said:
hi mike

no legs , so we got to waite till i get it stood upright and i start to fit the extensions to see what will happen .hc

No Legs :!: then as we thought they must come with the sliding table.

When you said that your saw was 170kg or 50kg lighter then the 220kg 12", I did some checking and it appears that your saw is 1170mm x 800mm and my 12" is 1500mm x 800mm, this is with both extensions fitted. I was really surprised because when setup it certainly does not look over 12" bigger/wider..

So with a bit of luck you will be ok fitting both extensions on the right without the legs, but to be safe I would still bolt it down to your turn table, because if left as it is I do not think it would take much weight to tip it over, and at sometime in the future a friend might unknowingly put something heavy on that end of the table.
If you decided not to buy the sliding table, I would seriously think about buying a leg or two from them. I maybe being over careful, but as you will find out the extensions are heavy beggers, and as I found out the table tips over ever so easily :roll:

What was in the other long box you got from SIP, just the fence and rails?

Cheers

Mike

A couple of pieces of strategically applied 2x2 ought to serve okay in place of the legs, or some steel box tubing from B&Q if no expense spared ?

Think you'll enjoy using the saw when you're up and running, nice and solid and quiet, and the fence is great.

You might want to elongate the slot in the riving knife so that you can take of the dust hood and lower the assembly below the table surface when you want to use the top for other things. I do that and place a thin piece of mdf on top to protect the surface when not in use.

Enjoy !

Cheers, Paul :D

Not at all Jealous over here in North Kent, not one bit

cryingMan.jpg

hi guys

got back from the hossi about 4 ish went down to the workshop went to peal off the polythene from the cast iron extension beds and found this . :cry: :cry: i'm lost for words at the mo ,

PDR_2266.jpg

i shall be first thing tomorrow morn on the phone , what do you think my opening line should be. hc :? :?

Latest posts

Back