single phase tenoning

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yorkie

Established Member
Reaction score
hi

i'm looking for a a tenoning machine that runs of mains 240v and is as small as you can get.

Have got some other woodworking machines but they'll be takig up a fair bit of room so need it to be as small as possible.

Any ideas as I dont have room for a massive 4/5 headed wadkin beast....as much as i'd like one!

Yorkie

Hi Yorkie,

I can think of 3 options for you (i'm in the same boat)

First one is to get tenoning discs for the spindle moulder if you have one?.

Second, sedgwick make a great tenoner witch isn't massive! and while not in use you can take the table off, they are available in single phase and can be found used for 1-3k.

Third, try and find a Multico tenoner these are as small as you can get! they aren't made any more but there are loads around second hand from a few hundred quid to 1.5k and they are single phase!

hope this helps.

David

great, thanks for that.

I have 2 spindles. One is a small Kity and the other is on a big combi machine (minimax U31) that i'll be picking up in a couple of weeks. It has a big sliding carrage but I would prefer a dedicated tenoner as i'll be making alot of windows and doors.

However, it is a very viable option if i cant find anything suitable.

Yorkie

Hi I have a Multico Tm tenoner and it is a decent machine which doesnt take up too much space. Mine is 3 phase but there are plenty of single phase ones around. From a dealer one will cost upwards of 1.5k and a good ebay example is around 1k or slightly more for very tidy examples. I would reccomend looking for one with new whitehill style heads which take scribing cutters or otherwise budget about £400 for some tooling.

There is a new copy of the multico being made which is available in single phase which is essentially the same but with improved guarding.

http://www.mwmachinery.co.uk/tenoners_d ... ecordID=11

The sedgwicks are also decent machines but newer examples with braking etc tend to be more expensive than the multicos.

Jon

I have been doing a bit of tenoning today so I thought I would post some pics to show the machine in action.

Timber loaded up ready for cutting.

tenoner-01.jpg

Timber passed through the machine

tenoner-02.jpg

Finished result a clean crisp tenon

tenoner-03.jpg

The stock is35mm thick, the tenon is 9.5mm 3/8 inch thick and 115mm long done in one pass. It took about 4-5mins to cut the tenons for 2 interior doors. It takes longer to clamp the timber than to cut the tenon.

Jon

JonnyD":1xvqn0u3 said:
I have been doing a bit of tenoning today so I thought I would post some pics to show the machine in action.

Timber loaded up ready for cutting.

tenoner-01.jpg

Timber passed through the machine

tenoner-02.jpg

Finished result a clean crisp tenon

tenoner-03.jpg

The stock is35mm thick, the tenon is 9.5mm 3/8 inch thick and 115mm long done in one pass. It took about 4-5mins to cut the tenons for 2 interior doors. It takes longer to clamp the timber than to cut the tenon.

Jon

Jon gave me a little demo of his tenoner the other day when i was there. its a surprising compact machine. in the time it would take me to do one tenon on my radial arm saw, he would have cut 6 on the tenoner.

John

I'm always suprised when I see people in the trade who don't have tenoners.
At one time we had 3 here, a Sedgwick, a Multico, and a 4 head Wadkin.
We recently sold the Multico though as it wasn't being used all that much.
The sedgwick stays set up with one of our morticers for timber subframes for ali windows, and the Wadkin does all of our other tenoning jobs, 90% of the time alkl 4 heads are being used too 8)

Back