Single Garage Workshop - Table Saw dilema...

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
paulrockliffe":1m1z0qkt said:
Dropping your router into the tablesaw cabinet is a great way to sae a bit of space as well. I built a router table a couple of years ago, but now I've got a reasonably table saw I'm going to move the router to free up some more space.

Definitely will be looking in to this when I get a table saw, and see what my space looks like.

Dear single garage

As was already asked, what you are going to be cutting is what is important in making this decision . Some of the new track saws are indeed great for making many of the cuts you can make on a table saw but not all of the cuts that are possible on the table saw. . Many other types of cuts which I will call craftsman or journey cuts can be made with a table saw. If you are only cutting panels of one type of another all you may need is a track saw . They are also making some great panel saws in smaller sizes now which are much less costly than a good track saw. Both of those options would take up much less space and could still get the job done. If cost is what you are looking to keep down then I believe you could get a full size table saw for less than a top of the line track saw. This is the case here in America at least in my opinion, because there is only one brand of track saw to buy and by the time you get the necessary tables , different sizes of tracks , clamps and all the rest that you will be needing you will have more than what is needed to purchase one of many very good table saws sold in America. Don't think I am saying that track saws are not necessary or worth the cost or that they can not replace a table saw in some situations , because they could ! I came very close to getting one for myself due to work space , so far it is simply the cost that is stopping me from making the switch. I did not know anything about the saw you are talking about so I looked it up on the Internet . I was very impressed it looks like it could be a great saw, the sliding table for myself would be a must as would all the side and rear tables. Remember that you may be able to make the right side table to do double duty and make your router table part of it and save some space. Many people are making this type of router table and you may be able to as well. I myself would try very hard to make space for the table saw unless I was just cutting panels . I guess I should say what I mean when I said there is only one brand of track saw , what I mean is in my opinion there is only one.. I know we all have opinions and mine is simply that , mine . Sorry this is so long I was in the Air Force and had to cover everything. If I can be any help at all just let me know. My name is Butch.

"I wouldn't concern yourself over bandsaw as you are so tight for space."

You WHAT?? :shock: :shock: :shock: Bandsaws are THE way of retaining ripping capacity without the acreage of a table saw! Sure, cross cuts are tricky mid-board with a B/S, but hand-held circular saws are not that difficult to manoever and indeed at least one 'pro' I know simply uses a big butch Elu jig saw!

Sam

Butch":2bhugtym said:
I believe you could get a full size table saw for less than a top of the line trackThis is the case here in America at least in my opinion, because there is only one brand of track saw to buy and by the time you get the necessary tables ,

Unfortunately, that is not the case in Europe. A cheap full size (i.e. Not site saw) table saw with induction motor etc is going to start at about around £600 in Europe/UK. That is already above Festool tracksaw level.

This probably has something to do with the fact that full size table saws don't sell as well at consumer level in the UK/Europe because we have sheds and small single garages for workshops :)

Bodgers":b3uay78s said:
I think to say things like 'if you are serious about making hardwood furniture...' you are basically saying if you have spent a lot of money on gear/tools you aren't serious. Or you won't be making anything worthwhile.

You can't have read my post properly Bodgers, I pretty much say the exact opposite of that!

I say I spent many years seriously making hardwood furniture in a single garage sized space, but with only a couple of basic machines and a simple set of hand tools!

SammyQ":1lrpzbmu said:
"I wouldn't concern yourself over bandsaw as you are so tight for space."

You WHAT?? :shock: :shock: :shock: Bandsaws are THE way of retaining ripping capacity without the acreage of a table saw! Sure, cross cuts are tricky mid-board with a B/S, but hand-held circular saws are not that difficult to manoever and indeed at least one 'pro' I know simply uses a big butch Elu jig saw!

Sam
This user was talking about both machines in a single garage. In my joinery workshop I use my table saw more than any other single piece of kit, so for me, chosing between the two is a no brainer. I have a small 14" bandsaw which I mostly use for some scrolling, small batch tenoning and cutting out turning blanks but my bench saw is my go to saw of choice. Each to his own ;)

Had the same problem as many here, working in a single garage designed for 1980s width cars. SWMBO finally agreed to extension as long as it wasn't too big and dominated the garden. Came up with one sided job which cost < £2k as trusses didn't need replacing, used an RSJ to span where old wall plate was, floor area now 17' x 14'. All tools (TS, BS,PT etc.) are on mobile bases so I can push them to one side and still get the car in when we're away. May be worth considering for some?

P1000054a.jpg

Attachments

• P1000054a.jpg
    P1000054a.jpg
    132.7 KB · Views: 706
Hi Graeme,
I am also in central Scotland and working from a single garage, building furniture for my own benefit as I have a full time job and it is just a hobby to keep me sane. I started with a larger bandsaw and built my first item, a single cabin bed for my son with only this, a workbench and hand tools. Progressively I have added a Sedgwick Planer thicknesser and I am still rebuilding a small Startrite Ta145 saw. I have posted on some of this elsewhere on this forum including building mobile bases. I have been lucky to acquire a lot of kit secondhand but also bought new with a Festool TS55, replacing a similar DeWalt track saw. I don't think I can add much else to whats been said, it depends what you are building. Personally, the track saw has proved invaluable but there are some jobs that it's not suited to hence I will be completing my table saw refurb this year.
I am out of the country this week on business but when I get back I will post some photos of my single garage workshop. It's probably true that a larger workshop would be even better but I console myself in the knowledge that some people are turning out much better things than me in a lot less space.
Best regards
Nigel
Photos added 14/01/2017, shown clockwise from door

Garage view from front
Garage door2.jpg

Minimax S45 Bandsaw
Minimax S45 Bandsaw Front.jpg

Tool Cabinet

Workbench
Bench2.jpg

Mitre saw
KGS331 Saw.jpg

Chip extractor & Mortice
Axminster morticer.jpg

Planer Thicknesser
PT255 Planer Thicknesser.jpg

Table Saw (still being rebuilt)

Dust Filter
Jet air filter2.jpg

Wood storage (in 4 locations)
Woodstore 22.jpg

Attachments

• Garage door2.jpg
    Garage door2.jpg
    236.6 KB · Views: 384
  • Minimax S45 Bandsaw Front.jpg
    Minimax S45 Bandsaw Front.jpg
    131.3 KB · Views: 384
  • Bench2.jpg
    Bench2.jpg
    195.1 KB · Views: 384
  • KGS331 Saw.jpg
    KGS331 Saw.jpg
    236.8 KB · Views: 384
  • Axminster morticer.jpg
    Axminster morticer.jpg
    149.3 KB · Views: 384
  • PT255 Planer Thicknesser.jpg
    PT255 Planer Thicknesser.jpg
    184.9 KB · Views: 384
  • Jet air filter2.jpg
    Jet air filter2.jpg
    145 KB · Views: 384
  • Woodstore 22.jpg
    Woodstore 22.jpg
    151.8 KB · Views: 384
ndbrown":1k8x8you said:
Hi Graeme,
I am also in central Scotland and working from a single garage, building furniture for my own benefit as I have a full time job and it is just a hobby to keep me sane. I started with a larger bandsaw and built my first item, a single cabin bed for my son with only this, a workbench and hand tools. Progressively I have added a Sedgwick Planer thicknesser and I am still rebuilding a small Startrite Ta145 saw. I have posted on some of this elsewhere on this forum including building mobile bases. I have been lucky to acquire a lot of kit secondhand but also bought new with a Festool TS55, replacing a similar DeWalt track saw. I don't think I can add much else to whats been said, it depends what you are building. Personally, the track saw has proved invaluable but there are some jobs that it's not suited to hence I will be completing my table saw refurb this year.
I am out of the country this week on business but when I get back I will post some photos of my single garage workshop. It's probably true that a larger workshop would be even better but I console myself in the knowledge that some people are turning out much better things than me in a lot less space.
Best regards
Nigel

Thanks for the response Nigel. Sounds as though you use your space for the same purposes that I will be. As I mentioned earlier, mine is purely for hobby use as well.

I don't deny that a track saw is a valuable tool, just that I see me getting far more use from a table saw. In an ideal world I'd have both... :mrgreen:

Would be really interested to see your pictures, and how you've used your space.

Ps... I see from your profile that you're located in Dunfermline. I work in Dunfermline, travelling from Bathgate.

Hi Graeme,
Uploaded my photos to the previous post now. I would describe it as a galley style layout but almost everything on the floor is mobile. Glad I went for separates as I had originally considered a universal machine and I now realise that it would not have worked out for me.
Nigel

That's the thing with small workshops they have to be neat and tidy otherwise they get out of hand, Ohhh nice and clean.

Love the kick stop for the PT.

Mike

ndbrown":116xrv0z said:
Hi Graeme,
Uploaded my photos to the previous post now. I would describe it as a galley style layout but almost everything on the floor is mobile. Glad I went for separates as I had originally considered a universal machine and I now realise that it would not have worked out for me.
Nigel
Thanks very much for taking the time to upload the pictures, Nigel.

Looks like a great use of the space you have. Not much spare by the looks of it... I get the impression I could accommodate a more dedicated table saw, based on your layout.

Going off on a tangent, how do you find the lighting in the garage with the strip lights running down the centre? I'm currently giving some thought to lighting, either strips or LED panels.

Graeme

I have had the strip lights for a long time now, high frequency ones with daylight tubes in the front one at the bench. I have not experienced any issues with shadows at working height although higher up just under the wood racks, there is a little bit of shadowing. Things have moved on a lot since I got these, so I would probably look around at LED as well. For me, it's painful to say it but as I get a bit older, I appreciate plenty of light!
In the better weather or at least what passes for better weather in Scotland, I generally have garage door open anyway.
Nigel

Back