Single Garage Workshop - Table Saw dilema...

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grawschbags

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

So, the story goes…. I have a single car garage that I am using for my hobbyist woodworking projects.

The cogs in my head have been turning for some time now regarding a table saw. As it is a single car garage – 2.5m wide X 5.0m long – I have the common floor space issue. What I would really like is the Axminster Trade Series AW10BSB2, for example (as a size guide). I hate the thought of spending money on a compact/site saw, just to have wished I could have got something more suitable in the space.

I know I’m never going to be making fine furniture, but I’d like to produce stuff of a good standard. Most of it will be built purely for my own use.

There is other equipment I have my eye on as well – dust extraction, bandsaw, planer/thicknesser, router table etc. I’ll be making use of mobile bases/cabinets where possible, but obviously a dedicated table saw will be whole different beast.

From reading the forum, I know a number of you operate in confined spaces, so wanted to hear your thoughts on a dedicated table saw over a site saw in a space of this size. Will I regret buying one type of table saw over the other?

Just to add, I’m not averse to buying a more portable saw, and mounting it on a mobile cabinet. I just want to get the decision right first time.

Thanks for reading, and for any advice.

Graeme

Graeme

What are you going to be cutting?

You are going to be advised to get a track saw by most on here if cutting sheet goods, but I have found them less accurate than a table saw and not as useful, lots of posts on here concerning single garage workshop fit outs, do a search on the Forum.

Mike

I have a single garage and I bought a jobsite saw (Scheppach HS105) which I have mounted on a mobile base with the idea that I would pull it out each time to use it. In all honesty, this hasn't worked out too well as it's just annoying. It's one of the most used tools I have, and so I am going to rearrange my setup (possibly losing my assembly table) so that it is always in place and ready to use.

The whole mobile base thing is great, and you should definately keep things mobile, but I'd advise against the idea of having commonly used tools in such a way that you need to pull them out to use. So as this would be a large tool in a small space, I'd arrange everything else around it.

Some ideas :

- Have the table saw outfeed in front of garage door, so you can open the door for large cuts
- Incorporate the outfeed with your assembly/work area (you'd need to clear it when cutting, but it's a good use of space)

I have a single garage pretty much the same size, and I have the AW10BSB2 along with the extended fence. In addition I have a chip extractor, work table, bandsaw, lumber rack, three cabinets a dust extractor, a 6 foot high hot water cylinder and a moped.

You'd be surprised what you can fit in with decent layout :)

MikeJhn":34la3vnf said:
Graeme

What are you going to be cutting?

You are going to be advised to get a track saw by most on here if cutting sheet goods, but I have found them less accurate than a table saw and not as useful, lots of posts on here concerning single garage workshop fit outs, do a search on the Forum.

Mike

Thanks for the reply Mike. I'd imagine there will be the odd bit of sheet goods here and there, but these will be cut to rough sizes with the circular saw. Most of it's use will be stock material sizes. I'd probably have to do this cutting at the timber yard anyway to get the materials in my car.

I've never used a track saw, but have never really fancied having one of them either.

transatlantic":34la3vnf said:
I have a single garage and I bought a jobsite saw (Scheppach HS105) which I have mounted on a mobile base with the idea that I would pull it out each time to use it. In all honesty, this hasn't worked out too well as it's just annoying. It's one of the most used tools I have, and so I am going to rearrange my setup (possibly losing my assembly table) so that it is always in place and ready to use.

The whole mobile base thing is great, and you should definately keep things mobile, but I'd advise against the idea of having commonly used tools in such a way that you need to pull them out to use. So as this would be a large tool in a small space, I'd arrange everything else around it.

Some ideas :

- Have the table saw outfeed in front of garage door, so you can open the door for large cuts
- Incorporate the outfeed with your assembly/work area (you'd need to clear it when cutting, but it's a good use of space)

Thanks Transatlantic. This was my fear, that if I bought a site saw, I'd use it that often that I'd never bother to move it out the way, so it would pretty much have a static location.

Thanks for the ideas as well. I've seen a few good examples on YouTube on how people have made best use of their space in a small shop.

MattRoberts":34la3vnf said:
I have a single garage pretty much the same size, and I have the AW10BSB2 along with the extended fence. In addition I have a chip extractor, work table, bandsaw, lumber rack, three cabinets a dust extractor, a 6 foot high hot water cylinder and a moped.

You'd be surprised what you can fit in with decent layout :)

Thanks Matt, that's reassuring to hear. Hopefully the moped is positioned near the garage door... :D

Do you have any regrets about have a table saw of that size/footprint in the garage?

Hi Graeme,

I have a wooden workshop a smidgen smaller than your garage. When I started I had an AW10BS2 table saw, a planer thicknesser and extraction kit. It quickly became apparent that there just wasn't room for all these machines so I moved the planer thicknesser and extractor into the garage which I use as a timber store so a handy location for it, and I've mothballed the saw until I can get round to selling it. In place of the bench saw I use a circular saw and straight-edge for ripping long stuff and a small bandsaw to lighter pieces. I find this system works well for me although a larger bandsaw would be nice but no room. Some members on here who are short of space manage well with just a larger bandsaw (350 or 400) for ripping and re-sawing work.

John

I'm another single garage user, and got an Elektra Beckum PK200 since it's light enough to be movable on casters, but has an expanding table that can take a reasonable amount. For fixed items I've got a workbench with pillar drill, lathe bench, rack of shelving, dust extractor, and a RAS. Mobile I've got a vacuum, router table, tool cabinet, table saw, scroll saw, and a thicknesser stashed under a bench.

It's far from ideal, but a single garage is unfortunately about compromise.

John15":qgynbfan said:
Hi Graeme,

I have a wooden workshop a smidgen smaller than your garage. When I started I had an AW10BS2 table saw, a planer thicknesser and extraction kit. It quickly became apparent that there just wasn't room for all these machines so I moved the planer thicknesser and extractor into the garage which I use as a timber store so a handy location for it, and I've mothballed the saw until I can get round to selling it. In place of the bench saw I use a circular saw and straight-edge for ripping long stuff and a small bandsaw to lighter pieces. I find this system works well for me although a larger bandsaw would be nice but no room. Some members on here who are short of space manage well with just a larger bandsaw (350 or 400) for ripping and re-sawing work.

John

Thanks John. Seems like I'm definitely not alone in having to make do in such a small area. Good to see you have found a system that works within your constraints. I do want to get a bandsaw at some point in the future. No idea yet if I will have the space for a standalone one, or if I'll have to go for a bench top mounted one.

LancsRick":4y95txdo said:
I'm another single garage user, and got an Elektra Beckum PK200 since it's light enough to be movable on casters, but has an expanding table that can take a reasonable amount. For fixed items I've got a workbench with pillar drill, lathe bench, rack of shelving, dust extractor, and a RAS. Mobile I've got a vacuum, router table, tool cabinet, table saw, scroll saw, and a thicknesser stashed under a bench.

Sounds like you have a pretty good setup in there though, with all that equipment.

How often do you find yourself moving the table saw out of the way?

Hi Graeme,
If you're not familiar with what a track saw is and does you could watch some Festool TS55 videos on youtube. It's not only great for breaking down sheets, but when used in conjunction with an MFT table (or homemade equivalent with parf dogs) it has all sorts of other uses and can easily match or beat the accuracy of any smaller table saw.
I have both a TS55 and a Kity table saw, if I had to keep only one it would be the track saw.

Grawschbags":1gtbxzj0 said:
Hi All,

So, the story goes…. I have a single car garage that I am using for my hobbyist woodworking projects.

The cogs in my head have been turning for some time now regarding a table saw. As it is a single car garage – 2.5m wide X 5.0m long – I have the common floor space issue. What I would really like is the Axminster Trade Series AW10BSB2, for example (as a size guide). I hate the thought of spending money on a compact/site saw, just to have wished I could have got something more suitable in the space.

I know I’m never going to be making fine furniture, but I’d like to produce stuff of a good standard. Most of it will be built purely for my own use.

There is other equipment I have my eye on as well – dust extraction, bandsaw, planer/thicknesser, router table etc. I’ll be making use of mobile bases/cabinets where possible, but obviously a dedicated table saw will be whole different beast.

From reading the forum, I know a number of you operate in confined spaces, so wanted to hear your thoughts on a dedicated table saw over a site saw in a space of this size. Will I regret buying one type of table saw over the other?

Just to add, I’m not averse to buying a more portable saw, and mounting it on a mobile cabinet. I just want to get the decision right first time.

Thanks for reading, and for any advice.

Graeme

Mobile bases are the way to make it all easier...

My single garage is a fraction bigger (5.2m X 2.8m - and its on a 'new build' estate :) ) and I have the Axy TS200 on a mobile base. I like the fact it doesn't dominate the workshop. Having said that, the depth of cut is a little limiting and there are QA issues. I will probably upgrade to something like the Scheppach Precisa 3.0 with the folding tables within a couple of years.

I suppose it all depends on how much you use the table saw...

I've got an AW12BS2 with the full kit and it's on a home made mobile base. It only gets moved out of the way when I use my lathe. However, I could do with a bit more room around the TS so I've decided to forgo a holiday and extend the workshop. It's probably not the most economically sensible solution, but woodwork for the hobbyist is not about economic furniture [or whatever else] production, it's about paying for your fun and the enjoyment of using your equipment and the achievement of making/creating.
Maybe if expansion's not an option you could alleviate the situation with a mobile base for your TS.

pcb1962":2pt2woy3 said:
Hi Graeme,
If you're not familiar with what a track saw is and does you could watch some Festool TS55 videos on youtube. It's not only great for breaking down sheets, but when used in conjunction with an MFT table (or homemade equivalent with parf dogs) it has all sorts of other uses and can easily match or beat the accuracy of any smaller table saw.
I have both a TS55 and a Kity table saw, if I had to keep only one it would be the track saw.

It's a slippery slope if I start going on to the Festool site.... I've already convinced myself that I need a Domino at some point. :roll:

I agree, the track saws do look useful for certain applications, but I won't be doing too much sheet work, and like the idea of customisation through jigs on the table saw.

Bodgers":23n5d27n said:
Mobile bases are the way to make it all easier...

My single garage is a fraction bigger (5.2m X 2.8m - and its on a 'new build' estate :) ) and I have the Axy TS200 on a mobile base. I like the fact it doesn't dominate the workshop. Having said that, the depth of cut is a little limiting and there are QA issues. I will probably upgrade to something like the Scheppach Precisa 3.0 with the folding tables within a couple of years.

I suppose it all depends on how much you use the table saw...

Sounds like new house builders are a bit more generous round your way... Mine is a new estate too.

I think if I get the table saw as my first "major" tool, then I can build my little workshop round about it to accommodate it.

monkeybiter":10zwhrao said:
I've got an AW12BS2 with the full kit and it's on a home made mobile base. It only gets moved out of the way when I use my lathe. However, I could do with a bit more room around the TS so I've decided to forgo a holiday and extend the workshop. It's probably not the most economically sensible solution, but woodwork for the hobbyist is not about economic furniture [or whatever else] production, it's about paying for your fun and the enjoyment of using your equipment and the achievement of making/creating.
Maybe if expansion's not an option you could alleviate the situation with a mobile base for your TS.

I completely agree. As a hobbyist I'll never make my millions from it. However, I do enjoy the process of buying and using nice new things. Even better if the end result is good...

No option to extend my garage unfortunately. Does a big heavy table saw like that lend itself well to being on a mobile base?

Grawschbags":3hobj3kr said:
Thanks Matt, that's reassuring to hear. Hopefully the moped is positioned near the garage door... :D

Do you have any regrets about have a table saw of that size/footprint in the garage?

None at all - the wings are very configurable, so I can reduce the width of I need to at any time. As it is, I have it full extension and have built a router table into the spare bit

The extension tables on this saw are cast iron as well as the top, will you have these on all the time, its these that make it very heavy 184Kg as opposed to the TS-250-2 at 80Kg's, what needs to be looked at is the floor area you are prepared to loose with a fully assembled AW10BSB2 against a saw with the same cutting capacity, but a smaller footprint.

Mike

A fun dilemma, trying to fit all you want in! I too have a single car garage - 8 feet by 16 feet. I have a SIP 10 inch cast iron table saw on a wheeled base. I've replaced one of the wings with a router table insert. I have it set up so it faces the wall most of the time for cross-cutting and I swing it round by 90 degrees for long ripping, which I do less often. I break large sheets down outside with a circular saw and straight edge. You can fit a lot into a single garage if you plan the layout well...

In my workshop I do have a table saw, but it is my least used major power tool by far. What does get used a lot is my bandsaw and given the choice I would prioritise bandsaw over table saw any day. I also have a track saw and for breaking down sheet goods I don't even consider the table saw - mainly because of handling issues in my fairly narrow (but long) shop.

Grawschbags":e3rljs4i said:
LancsRick":e3rljs4i said:

Sounds like you have a pretty good setup in there though, with all that equipment.

How often do you find yourself moving the table saw out of the way?

I don't move it very often at all, it's in the corner near the garage door, maybe a foot out from the wall and 2/3 foot from the garage door itself. Means that for most small rips I use it in situ. For wider rips I either roll it away from the wall, or just half open the garage door.

Back