Signals From The Bunker

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
DaveL":1xz7avlt said:
Alf":1xz7avlt said:
Personally my scrollsawing isn't good enough to make what I'd like to put up with reference to trick or treating... :evil:

Binky, complete with rider? :twisted:
That's an idea... :-k

But I was thinking more of the difficulty of sawing out "S*d off you greedy little beggars. We are not in North America and we do not have a tradition of trick or treat just because Walmart, sorry, I mean Asda, start selling plastic buckets shaped like pumpkins for you to put your ruddy loot in. But if you want a trick I'll give you one with pleasure."

Besides it'd need a really big piece of ply... :wink:

Cheers, The All Hallows Moaner :twisted:

lol here here Alf

Looks great Gill, Hadn't thought of lettering... can't wait to get going now!

I like it Gill. Simple yet says it all... The lettering you used really sets it off. Neat idea.
Will get with you about the font...that's one I don't have in my stash...lol
Lin

I guess someone needs introducing to a scroll saw.

Gatepost decorations in Germany by my Texan daughter in law .
DSC_0038.JPG

DSC_0039.JPG

She's very talented, Chas, but I like my work to survive a bit longer than one night.

Incidentally, there is a piece of cheap software available for transferring images to pumpkins that some scrollers use for their scrollsaw patterns. It's called Me On A Pumpkin. Personally, I'd rather use a proper art program.

Gill

Well Chas.........Is Santa "Dad" going to bring her a scrollsaw for x-mas?
The pumpkin is awesome looking.....
Lin

Lin":2j5q90tx said:
Well Chas.........Is Santa "Dad" going to bring her a scrollsaw for x-mas?
The pumpkin is awesome looking.....
Lin

Now there is a thought, I doubt it would be wasted if she failed to make use of it. :twisted:

Chas, I'm sure that she would be thrilled to get such a nice "Toy" from "Dad" for x-mas.......and if by chance she didn't develop an interest...which I highly doubt.......possibly the lady of your house or of course you might take a shot and to see what all this scrolling stuff that I am so "Hooked" on is all about......Just a thought to mull over..
Lin

Lin":3fb0nm6q said:
Chas, I'm sure that she would be thrilled to get such a nice "Toy" from "Dad" for x-mas.......and if by chance she didn't develop an interest...which I highly doubt.......possibly the lady of your house or of course you might take a shot and to see what all this scrolling stuff that I am so "Hooked" on is all about......Just a thought to mull over..
Lin

Lin, Those little :idea: balloons have been popping up I must admit, but I get so much tongue pie about the trails of sawdust around the house I don't think the lady of the house is willing to leave herself vulnerable to retaliatory comments. I have been working on the subject ever since we had a conversation with Gill & Trevor at a recent show.

As we will be staying with said 'creator of pumpkins' over the Xmas / New Year period (COLD :deer COLD, COLD) I will work on the subject :ho2 .

Hi Chas

Christmas in Germany? How lovely :) ! One day, when we don't have quite so many little woofers
icon_dog037.gif
, we're going to have Christmas in Germany too. Hopefully we'll get to visit the fabulous Christmas markets and possibly even the Erzegebirger (?spelling) region where wonderful Christmas pyramids are made.

Incidentally, I understand there are plans for a Christmas pyramid in the latest issue of Scroll Saw Workshop magazine. Unfortunately, my copy appears to be stuck somewhere in the middle of the Atlantic Ocean :( .

Gill

Gill":mqvxtnwh said:
Hi Chas

Christmas in Germany? How lovely :) !...snip.. .

Gill

(grumpy old man hat on) COLD COLD COLD COLD COLD COLD (grumpy old man hat off)

Chas, Is there any thing I can do or say to help the "Subject" along.....
Have you gotten her to look at my website?.....The "Addiction" page is an update from the first one....prior to it there was an orginal "My Addiction" that told about my mistakes getting started and the fact that I bought my Hawk in April of 2002 with $$ I had saved from selling crocheted afghans...As they say....."I've come a Long Way Baby" in 3.5 years.
My journey shows that scrolling is fairly easy to get the hang of.....or I would've never stuck with it. I just had to make some wooden frisbees first and get questions answered online to help me thru some of the errors I was making. Up until I bought the saw....I had used a Dremel Adavantage a couple times and a jigsaw.....that was about it except for holding up paneling while my hubby put the nails in.....So everything was new to me....I feel that if I can do it...anyone can.
Would love to get her and your daughter interested.....would be a blast on the forum. Germany sounds cold......but fun.
Lin

I'm behind Lin all the way on this one, Chas. Your daughter in law seems to have such an eye for fretwork that it would be tragic if she didn't try her hand at scrolling. And it really isn't difficult to master the basics very quickly.

Oh, and if Di is a bit worried about the prospects of getting more sawdust in the house, just point out to her that the blades cut on the downward stroke so all the sawdust falls beneath the machine, except for a little that accumulates around the blade before it is quickly blown away. If she was to wear an apron, she'd catch practically all the dust on it that was produced and it would be easy to dispose of. Scrolling is the cleanest form of woodwork that I know of, except for marquetry.

Gill

It seems like ages since I added anything to this thread. His Lordship's had a couple of weeks off work, so I haven't been able to spend much time by myself in the workshop. In the meantime, here's something I cut out of maple, mostly using #3 blades:

WolfinMaple2.jpg

The backing board is 4 mm ply painted with green enamel. The whole project was then sprayed with two coats of Chestnut's acrylic lacquer aerosol and it's come up quite nicely, with practically no discolouration of the white maple. I'd definitely use that product again.

I'm rather proud of this acute turn which forms the wolf's mouth 8) :

WolfMouthDetail2.jpg

Gill

Edited to correct colour distortion in the photographs - thanks for the help, Chris :) .

Latest posts

Back