shower

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

devonwoody

Established Member
Reaction score
Our Mira shower "sports" is 12 years old and doesnt like hard work these days.

The Argos price is over £220, we paid around £80 twelve years ago.

But I am sure these things sell with big discounts, so you tradies where do I go ?

devonwoody":1atbh5d3 said:
But I am sure these things sell with big discounts, so you tradies where do I go ?

What type is it electric?

Cheapest in screwfix is a Triton (not a bad make) £69.99 or Netune (not sure of these) at £58.78 in Toolstation.

Kinda depends on what you want really, but for a basic electric shower you dont need to pay £200 plus.

Cheers

Mav

Yes its electric and the model was 8.5 kw.
Wanted to replace like with like hoping that no plumbing or electrics would need changing.

(some hope)

I think you will be lucky to replace like with like and not have to make any changes to be honest. I have just replaced an old triton shower with a new one and the water feed was on the right of the old shower, its on the left in the new one. Means the new shower now sits 10 inches to the right of the old one. I am re-tiling the bathroom anyway so not a problem but if I was not then I would not be happy!

A couple of things to consider:

Make sure you get a cold fill only if the old one is cold fill only - not all electric showers are identical.

Make sure your cabling is up to spec - 8.5kw will need at least 6mm cable, possibly 10mm. Regs and specs change as showers improve so check before you buy.

Some showers can only be fitted to a tank gravity feed, not to the mains. Make sure you have the right type becuase you will void the warranty if you fit shower to the wrong system.

Best of luck!

Steve.

Why not have a go at taking it apart and descaling the heater element etc to give it a new lease of life

Thanks for advice, mira have a very good spares setup, so perhaps thats the way to go?

Raggy, I can take out the copper boiler, so what do I put in, a lime descaler?

DW
Have you checked the filter on the cold water inlet, it`s amazing how many times that`s all that`s impeding the performance.
The old Mira sport had a long rectangular case, the newer ones are "square-er", though not quite square.

Square, thats bad news, I cleaned the filter last year, when the nylon/plastic flange cracked that secured the incoming pipe to inside plumbing.

So I will give it a look over. we live in a reasonably free limestone area as far as our water is concerned, but the stuff is the dearest in the country :cry:

devonwoody":2jq7qj14 said:
Thanks for advice, mira have a very good spares setup, so perhaps thats the way to go?

Raggy, I can take out the copper boiler, so what do I put in, a lime descaler?

Basically yes, even if you are in a relatively soft water area you are going to get some limescale build up so after 12 years of use a good old scrub up will do it the world of good.

Hi DW.
Have a look at this site.

http://www.showerdoc.co.uk/about.html

They have a technical forum where you can talk to the experts and ask questions about your shower.
They also, although I couldn't see it this morning, have a service whereby for about £30 plus parts, they will overhaul your shower and give you a 6 month guarantee.

You will have to explore the site, but I found it really useful a few months ago.

Jim

devonwoody":tcifngiu said:
Our Mira shower "sports" is 12 years old and doesnt like hard work these days.

The Argos price is over £220, we paid around £80 twelve years ago.

Solved the shower problem, now the incoming water temperature has risen the shower is comfortable at number 4 setting, whereas 4 weeks ago it needed to be set at number 8.

:D Well thats a handy fix then!

If it was fed from a tank then the water would have time to reach settle at reasonably constant temp rather than fluctuating with ground temp - although it must have been pretty cold outside to affect it that much.

Sorted anyway!! :)

Latest posts

Back