Natural Gas Futures

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Do you really think the nationalised industries were efficient, they were fantastic at employing large numbers of people and giving jobs for life but not at productivity based on heads.
I'd rather see them employ large numbers of tax payers in this country and provide some level of customer service than run operations on a shoe string budget and reward offshore investors who do not contribute to the UK economy.

Yes there are too many not paying taxes on money earnt from uk taxpayers and too many hiding money in offshore accounts, as I said we have gone from one extreme to the other and need to be in the middle. British companies not fully privatised but not fully nationalised and run for the benefit of the Uk and not a few wealthy shareholders.

Always been p ed of with the way there's a crisis and commodities have to go up then when the crisis is over they never come back down one case that started me off questioning the way buisness works many years ago we had a bad winter and the potato crops were decimated spuds went up from a few pennies a lb and never came back down the market saw that people would pay more with little moaning because we all ate chips , mash , ect if every one had changed to eating pasta and rice for a short time the potato suppliers would have soon seen a drop in profits and reversed the pricing strategy , It's like the illegal drugs industry get em hooked and then hike the prices . Rant over back to bashing wood 😠😤

I doubt anything is better, many companies delivered more and gave a better service but at a higher running cost. What we need are nationalised companies with independant private management so you get the service and efficiency as to cost. I look back to the days of nationalised railways, when they had track gangs and a huge number of employee's that delivered a good transport system but at a high cost.
I started out in the nationalised electricity industry. It wasn't very efficient but it seemed to be the place to employ ex-servicemen when they were demobbed. There were no pressures and no targets but a lot of workers just doing their job. Domestic work was highly priced with an argument that the electricity company would do the best job.
There were good things too. Like the city electrical store having a guy in the back room who could mend your toaster, kettle or iron while you were shopping. Of course, nobody thought about the dangers from asbestos in those days even when a lot of small appliances had asbstos parts. And decent inspectors whose job it was to maintain electrical standards.

Do you really think the nationalised industries were efficient, they were fantastic at employing large numbers of people and giving jobs for life but not at productivity based on heads.
That sounds like pretty good going to me and probably quite a few other people.

Job for life, pension, benefits, sick pay, paid holiday, income security......wonderful.

I'd rather see them employ large numbers of tax payers in this country and provide some level of customer service than run operations on a shoe string budget and reward offshore investors who do not contribute to the UK economy.
That’s the NHS then.

So, let me get this straight... its OK for 70% of UK rail routes to be owned by foreign nationalised industries but not OK for us to run our railways.

For example...

Arriva are owned by Deutsche Bahn which is the German State Railway.

London Midland are owned by Keolis which is the French State Railway.

Greater Anglia is owned by Abelio which is the Dutch State Railway.

Essex Thameside is owned by Trenitalia which is the Italian State Railway.

Does no one else think that's nuts?

So, let me get this straight... its OK for 70% of UK rail routes to be owned by foreign nationalised industries but not OK for us to run our railways.

For example...

Arriva are owned by Deutsche Bahn which is the German State Railway.

London Midland are owned by Keolis which is the French State Railway.

Greater Anglia is owned by Abelio which is the Dutch State Railway.

Essex Thameside is owned by Trenitalia which is the Italian State Railway.

Does no one else think that's nuts?
Of course it's nuts.

So all this is immoral and disgusting the profits being made but what are we going to do about it . There is a trickle down from the rich but only in the greed every one wants to make more and more , the pandemic is over no more change to society back to normal dog eat dog "I Wana be rich it makes me a superior being over the plebs"

What I am actually saying is that we don't want the old nationalised industries that were good at delivering but not efficient and we don't want privatised, especially owned by foreign enterprise but something owned by the people of the Uk and run like a private firm, definitely not chopped up franchises overseen by the government.

So all this is immoral and disgusting the profits being made but what are we going to do about it .
You can write to your MP, tell your friends, post on social media, just generally make some noise.

The energy companies must NOT be allowed to not pass on to the consumer IN FULL the huge fall in price of natural gas. It's less than it was 12 months ago FFS!!

Our friend from Denmark told us earlier in this thread that responsible governments can force energy companies to do the right thing.

The day after two news stories, the first that Shell made $20billion profit, and the second that British Gas subcontractors were breaking into the homes of vulnerable people to fit more expensive pay-as-you-go meters, I'm hopping mad. They should not be allowed to get away with this kind of behaviour. What kind of society do we live in? Is this the direction we want society to be heading for our children and granchildren?

MAKE SOME NOISE!!!

Last edited:
You can write to your MP, tell your friends, post on social media, just generally make some noise.

The energy companies must NOT be allowed to not pass on to the consumer IN FULL the huge fall in price of natural gas. It's less than it was 12 months ago FFS!!

Our friend from Denmark told us earlier in this thread that responsible governments can force energy companies to do the right thing.

The day after two news stories, the first that Shell made $20billion profit, and the second that British Gas subcontractors were breaking into the homes of vulnerable people to fit more expensive pay-as-you-go meters, I'm hopping mad. They should not be allowed to get away with this kind of behaviour. What kind of society do we live in? Is this the direction we want society to be heading for our children and granchildren?

MAKE SOME NOISE!!!

Worse (or better if you getting a divi or two) 40bn US/32bn GBP.
We’ll not mention anything about their record on pollution and poisoning in Nigeria…court case soon I believe.

Agree, the more noise the better.

My principal concern is the quality and cost of the services provided - either to me personally or society as a whole. There are a few constraints on this simplistic statement:
  • I expect that staff employed by the provider are treated with respect and fairly rewarded
  • for a limited range of services there may be a strategic concern - eg: self sufficiency in energy, or retention of a critical skill base - eg: NHS
That rail, water etc companies are owned by overseas companies does not concern me. Their assets and staff are physically UK based, and subject to regulation (which does leave something to be desired!)

The private sector may be able to provide a better quality, more responsive, and more efficient service whilst also making a profit and paying dividends to shareholders. These talents are far from the sole preserve of the public sector - indeed they are frequently lacking.

Privatisation during the 1980s initially exposed huge inefficiencies in the public sector. They tended to be bureaucratic, overstaffed, risk averse (not always bad), unresponsive. It is evident that in some cases structures set up 30-40 years ago may now need fixing - railways being an obvious example.

However the solution is not renationalisation - if government cannot effectively regulate a privatised industry I suspect there is little chance they could run one any better.

My principal concern is the quality and cost of the services provided - either to me personally or society as a whole. There are a few constraints on this simplistic statement:
  • I expect that staff employed by the provider are treated with respect and fairly rewarded
  • for a limited range of services there may be a strategic concern - eg: self sufficiency in energy, or retention of a critical skill base - eg: NHS
That rail, water etc companies are owned by overseas companies does not concern me. Their assets and staff are physically UK based, and subject to regulation (which does leave something to be desired!)

The private sector may be able to provide a better quality, more responsive, and more efficient service whilst also making a profit and paying dividends to shareholders. These talents are far from the sole preserve of the public sector - indeed they are frequently lacking.

Privatisation during the 1980s initially exposed huge inefficiencies in the public sector. They tended to be bureaucratic, overstaffed, risk averse (not always bad), unresponsive. It is evident that in some cases structures set up 30-40 years ago may now need fixing - railways being an obvious example.

However the solution is not renationalisation - if government cannot effectively regulate a privatised industry I suspect there is little chance they could run one any better.

As ever, total sense Terry ... in my humble opinion, obviously.

I would like to see our core infrastructure owned by British companies and I suspect that a lot of other countries would rather see their industries not owned and run by international arms of British companies - but that's just how the world is.

I also doubt that nationalised infrastructure would be much better, but I may be wrong. The thing is, I doubt I will ever get to find out because the whole system is so incestuous that it will never be unravelled and simplified in my lifetime - too many organisations will lobby for the interests of those who pay them and too many people who can make decisions which will change outcomes are in bed with the people behind the lobbyists. That will be the case irrespective of which party is in power. Back to greed again.

Yes, more effective regulation (on a massive scale) would address much of what is wrong but that wont happen because of the lobbyists and the desired outcomes of the people in power. Greed again.

Let's all go communist and force nationalisation - then the people in power can cream off the top and buy villas at the coast and cruise up to the villas in their super yachts .... just like the Russians do.

The whole system is stuffed either way.

As ever, total sense Terry ... in my humble opinion, obviously.

I would like to see our core infrastructure owned by British companies and I suspect that a lot of other countries would rather see their industries not owned and run by international arms of British companies - but that's just how the world is.

I also doubt that nationalised infrastructure would be much better, but I may be wrong. The thing is, I doubt I will ever get to find out because the whole system is so incestuous that it will never be unravelled and simplified in my lifetime - too many organisations will lobby for the interests of those who pay them and too many people who can make decisions which will change outcomes are in bed with the people behind the lobbyists. That will be the case irrespective of which party is in power. Back to greed again.

Yes, more effective regulation (on a massive scale) would address much of what is wrong but that wont happen because of the lobbyists and the desired outcomes of the people in power. Greed again.

Let's all go communist and force nationalisation - then the people in power can cream off the top and buy villas at the coast and cruise up to the villas in their super yachts .... just like the Russians do.

The whole system is stuffed either way.
I'm not sure that Russia is a communist country anymore. In fact, I seem to remember that many of the shady oligarchs made their money from the privatisation of utilities.

Latest posts

Back