Shower splashback panels

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fishandchips

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

Shes got me doing the shower next and she has seen some "MDF" errr exterior grade it must be said shower panels for sale in the local bathstore.

I was going to tile it but these look quite nice and come with a good guarantee. Save me grouting again in a few years.

Trouble is they are £135 each for a 2440mm x 900mm panel and I need 3 and the fittings too. Going to be almost £500 just for the walls and I know I can do it for £200 with tiles.

Anyone used them before? is there a cheaper but equal quality board? (or better quality) available?

Cheers

Garry

Checkout synthetic surface panels. Might cost a little more still but they are fundamentally water proof compare to the MDF which will rely on perfect grout seals to stop it having to be re-done in a few years.

MM

Hi mm,

I have googled the life out of synthetic surface panels can't find anything?

Can you post a link for me if possible please.

Cheers

Garry

Try selkie board we use them on narrowboat installations, they are great, no grout to fail and available in a big range of finishes. If I recall correctly we pay around £90 per board trade so £130 retail is probably not out of the way.

How is this board fixed to the walls?

Over existing tiling, which might not be perfect, i.e. slight rises. etc.3

Corners,

Joins.

Pipework and electric shower unit fixed to selkie board.

I did a bathroom last year that had these type of panels installed over tile. They were siliconed on, and when I ripped them off, they were alive-a-live-o with mould and fungus!! The customer said they were put up as a 'quick-fix' 3 or 4 years earlier. Personally, I think these type of products are just that, a quick fix. You can't beat tile!!

I've put loads of these in, especially in B&B's and hotels.
Easy to clean, look great for years and it's really easy to replace the silicone if it goes black.

I've removed one or two also and mould is usually more about how well the shower is ventilated and cleaned that the finish on the wall.
I don't recomend tiles to anybody these days.

I guess they are a good product if fitted and sealed properly.

Watermark did you use any particular brand? Where's the best place to buy? Are they PVC or mdf? If PVC are the solid or hollow.

Can't find anything local so will have to buy online. Hate buying such a big project without knowing what the materials look and feel like.

I've fitted most types and would not recomend the plastic clad type, they can be made to look very neat but are structurally very poor.

Some are a treated mdf type type board and some are a laminated ply.
Both can make good strong showers and can even be installed over batons if needed.

Selkie boards are good and i've bought them from a company called rearo in gateshead who have a showroom and deliver to site.

I've not come across any poorly made ones for a good few years now.

As with anything it's the prep and installation that makes it good or bad, if you throw the over mouldy tiles as a quick fix they'll be just that. I 've even seen them fitted within an exsisting eclosure, this is the ultimate in bad practice.

Cheers for the advise.

Bought some today board today from bath store. It does look like a very good product just need to make sure it's fitted correctly and I don't foresee any problems.

Used screen shots from the other products to get the price down so all the info helped in the end. I am sure they stung me on the rest of the shower though!

If I remember and don't get carried away ill do a wip.

Thanks for all help

Garry

Latest posts

Back