Shower and pressure release device

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StevieB

Established Member
Reaction score
Any plumbers about? I have a Triton T80i Pumped shower where the pump is internal to the unit on the wall. SWMBO turned it on yesterday morning and the shower head blew off (not screwd on properly or come undone I guess). Now the shower will not provide hot water. The pump still works, the on indicator works so its not an obvious electrical fault. Looking in the manual, it states the pressure release device blowing may be one cause of this. Anyone know about PRD's? Should water flow out of the PRD if it blows? The shower works as normal but just doesn't get hot. If I need to replace the PRD I can do so, but am not sure how to tell if it has actually blown or not. Anyone know?

Steve

Steve, I have had one go on my mum's shower (not pumped) her hose collapsed and the pressure release blew out. It was a small ball couple of mm if I recall. Anyway you know when it's happened because the unit leaks water out of the bottom through the pressure release point. Cost about a fiver I think direct from Triton.

Alan

Thanks Alan - does it constantly leak, leak only when the unit is turned on or only leak until the hose was unkinked? I have no water from the PRD at all currently, not sure if there was when the head blew as I wasnt there. There is none leaking from the PRD when the shower is on now either.

Suspect the PRD is not the problem then and that I have a more serious electrical fault!

Steve.

They only leak when the shower is turned on. If you take off the cover (with the power isolated) you will see the valve. Tha ball can be pushed back in.

Simon

As Simon said leaks only when turned on. I tried fiddling getting the ball back and couldn't get it to play ball :shock: hence buying the spare bits.
Sounds like your thermal cutout may have gone. ball park around £20 to replace if the unit is not very old maybe OK but if getting on then need to ask why it's cutout.
Part 4 page 3...page17 refers
http://www.screwfix.com/sfd/i/cat/pdfs/01/p4182001.pdf
I wouldn't have thought it can be that complicated but I'm not about to advise you to have a go if you don't feel competent. Turn off the mains supply before doing any tests. My guess would be it has only two connections and if it measures disconnected then it's been activated if it measures short circuit then it's OK.
http://www.onlineplumbingsupplies.co.uk ... ric_shower

Alan

Wow, many thanks for that Alan, much appreciated. Very happy to fiddle, I put the original shower in and wired it back to the CU. Been at work today so havent had chance to take it apart yet, but will do so this week.

Steve

Back