Show us your lathe stands

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jervisekken

Established Member
Reaction score
During rebuilding of my shop I had to take away my lathe stand. So now I want to build a new one.
My lathe is a DVR 3000. Previously I had my tools in a stand above the lathe. Not good. The stand was always covered in dust and chips.
I want storage for turning tools and accesories. I also want some kind of arrangement for dust collection or at least to make clean-up easier.
I also want enough place for sandbags to stabilize the thing.

If everyone with a good stand could post pictures or ideas and advice, this could be a real lathe stand ideas bank.

Thank's a lot.

I just use the regular rectangular steel legs that were designed for the DVR lathe. I often wonder about building something more substantial that I can add weight to but the stand I have has several advantages-

1)I can put a dustbin under the lathe and collect shavings as they fall,
2)I suspend a metal mesh kitchen drying rack under the lathe at one end and it works well for holding the tools that I'm working with (the tools either fit through the mesh vertically or just lie on the mesh,
3)for various task (but especially hollowing) I can get really close to the work without having to lean over too much. When sitting down to hollow I can get my stool right next to the bed, even below it if need be.
4)I've got a castor system on the legs so can move the lathe about easily when I need to. My workshop is not large so the lathe tends to be pushed to one end. When I want to turn something larger or attach my extra section of bed it's easy to move the lathe, work like that until the project is finished, and then move the lathe back. If I had a more substantial base that would be harder.

Hope that helps

Duncan

Back