Shoulder Plane

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Philly

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi Folks
Thought I'd better post some pics of a small plane I made recently. Some of you may of seen it at the Big Bash.
It is a shoulder plane made from Ovangkol and Brass. The iron is made from O1 tool steel and was heat treated/tempered by yours truly.
2006_0921sawhandle40069.jpg

It is about 9 inches long, three high and 1 inch wide. The mouth is really fine (although I can file it a little wider if needed) and I'm quite pleased with the way it came out. The design is Terry Gordon's (of HNT Gordon Planes ) I have a 3/4 and 1 1/4 inch shoulder planes from him and thought a 1 inch would complintent them nicely.
Construction was pretty straight-forward. The mortise was cut on my bench top mortise machine (with a suitable wedge underneath for the angle), the body was shaped on the router table to fit the brass channel, the whole thing was epoxied togther then the wedge fitted, blade made, throat drilled and shaped and the mouth opened out with files. The sole was flattened with wet and dry on my granite surface plate and I even managed to keep the sides pretty darn square.

2006_0921sawhandle40068.jpg

It was fun to make and I might just have a go at another. When I can find some time... :lol:
Cheers
Philly :D

Beautiful mate. Stunning.

Looked even better at the bash (almost as nice as my new purpleheart woody :wink: ) and the workmanship is up there with the best of them.

I foresee a new career for you - quality plane maker 8)

As Tony says, the piccies don't do it justice. I was convinced it was an HNT Gordon until Martin pointed out the "PE" stamped on the end. Super job. Now don't be coy, Phil; did someone say Purpleheart?

121fs834113.jpg

He's good, isn't he? :shock:

Cheers, Alf

Philly
Very nice on both of them and you are one more person to add to the list of people I could hate if they were not so nice :D
Keep up the good work ( thinking of work I should go do some :roll: ).
Colin

Smashing job here Philly - was in PFT yesterday and my hand was fluttering around the wallet in the back pocket, but I resisted, as there was a 3/4" Record shoulder plane in there for about £75. I may have a go at making one having seen how good this one looks- what's the angle the blade is set at? Will be shortly posting a thread about my high angle Krenovian smoother which is almost done - Rob

Alf":15fvln32 said:
Super job. Now don't be coy, Phil; did someone say Purpleheart?

121fs834113.jpg

He's good, isn't he? :shock:

Cheers, Alf

That looks just like mine :shock: :wink: Lovely to use a tool made by a friend and future high-quality plane manufacturer - of course, I knew him when........

Simply beautiful, Phil!

I have always fancied making some planes like HNT's. Don't think they would come out as nice--I've tried making some planes in the past. :roll:

I love the wood selection paired to that brass. Great choice.

Take care, Mike

Thank you all! :oops: :D
Nice to see they were appreciated-I'll have another go soon. Just need to get Ian Dalziel to knock me up a CNC-mill, etc and I can make you all Norris infills for Xmas :roll: :lol:
And Mike, I reckon you could make a wicked plane (if your saws are anything to go by :wink: )
Cheers
Philly :D

Back