Shoulder Plane advice

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

woodbloke

Established Member
Reaction score
I've been making some panels and now need to clean up the rebate. The edge of the panel was knifed before routing but I need a suitable shoulder plane or alternative to clean up to the line, as shown in the pic. I've had a trawl thru' the the Axminster book and thought one of these might be suitable but I'd really like something like this but its allot more money and I don't know wether its justified. Would anything else clean up the edges, like a pair of the LN side rebate planes :? Thanks - Rob

small.jpg

Tilgear have reduced prices on the LN 98 and 99 pair of side rebates at the moment Rob, £105.75 plus vat, no delivery, so might save a few quid if you fancy them.......

Cheers, Paul. :D

Thanks for all the advice and help, didn't realize that Alf had done some excellent reviews of the Veritas planes.....Philly's got it sorted tho' :wink: :-$ :-$ :-# \:D/ - Rob

For what its worth I recently bought the Veritas large shoulder plane and its one of the most enjoyable tools to use. I would highly recommend it.

Why on earth would anyone think of using a side rebate plane (really designed to "ease" the sides of tight housings to make shelves, etc fit) for a task like this? :shock: I'd also forget the bullnose rebate - in real terms they have few practical uses as the nose is so short that control over long distances can be difficult - not to say they don't have their uses, but not as useful as a shoulder rebate plane. Instead I'd go for a medium or better a larger sized shoulder rebate plane such as the L-N #073 (large) or the #042 (medium). Were I restricted to one I'd have to go for the larger #073 as I've found it infinitely more useful over the years than it's smaller brother despite being a bit of a lump

scrit

I'm still using a late made Record 073, which unfortunately does not posess any parallel or normal surfaces... I can't decide whether to replace it with the LN, or the Veritas - are they equal - choice just due to personal preference?

Ivan wrote:
replace it with the LN, or the Veritas - are they equal
Don't know on this one either, though the Veritas comes highly recommend. It would be interesting though if someone who lives in the West County, west of Devon that is, would do a comparison study between the two types :? for the further enlightenment of us poor mortals :lol: No one as yet seems to have mentioned the Clifton shoulder planes which also appear to be quite presentable - Rob

I have a Clifton 410 - great little tool - little brother of their 420 which is a similar size to an LN 42. I note the LNs are cheaper at the mo.

I looked at the Clifton 410 in Penny Farthing Tools the other day and was impressed by it, particulary the way it fits into the hand...appears just about the right size to use one handed for smaller stuff, tho' a larger plane like a LN would do just as well - Rob

woodbloke":1z7idvjq said:
No one as yet seems to have mentioned the Clifton shoulder planes which also appear to be quite presentable

I think the Cliftons are beautifully made but it's a pity that they don't make a #073 equivalent. I think they were planning to produce one at one time but, like their prototype low angle block plane, it's not in production yet :cry: I would like to buy one and if I do it will be the bigger size.

Cheers :wink:

Paul

Latest posts

Back