Should I get an SCMS?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pike

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm trying to decide how best to deal with crosscutting in my small shed. I only really make the odd bit of furniture and have to save space as I'll only have a 20x10 shed at most.

I'm planning on building an extension to my shed very soon, but other than that I don't build on the go. I do wonder if not having an SCMS is going to make building the shed a pain. But is it worth getting a good one for one build and then having to find a space for it.

I like the triton but I don't want to have to take the dust bag off and convert to crosscut mode. I've seen cross cut sleds and perhaps that is my best option. Crosscutting on the top in tablesaw mode is just not reliably accurate with the mitre gauge.

Any advice or thoughts welcome!
Carl.

I bought a SCMS especially for building my workshop (its in some of the photos). It did exactly what I wanted and saved a lot of time cutting numerous pieces to the same length effortlessly. Since I finished the shed and bought a combo I've only used it once. So if you are considering buying a table saw, the SCMS will become redundant.

Thank's Shultzy, It does sound like for a small build, and lacking space for more tools, I might be better off not buying an SCMS. Or maybe I should just hire one.

I don't think I was clear in that I have a triton workcentre. I'm happy with the triton tablesaw for now, just not it's crosscutting in tablesaw mode (and don't want to have to keep converting it to crosscut mode). I'm going to look into the crosscut sleds for the triton workcentre. It'd save space over having an SCMS and table/s for that.

I think that you have a conflict in your requirements.

I'd buy a cheapie from ebay (even second hand)..don't even bother getting a better blade.... and build your shed.

Then, maybe buy a better blade, keep the cheapie SCMS for a little while and use it for other things. That way, you'll learn what you want to get out of an SCMS or indeed if it is right for you.

Then sell the cheapie back on eBay.

When I renovated a cottage a few years back, I didn't want to take and keep my SCMS onsite. So I bought the largest SIP complete with stand. It was a workhorse. Did me proud. Used it for two years and then sold it for £30 less than I paid for it.

I have a SCMS and have not used it very much recently. I do use it quite a bit for DIY but not for woodworking. I think if I had to make the decision again I would probably buy a good quality circular saw for those DIY jobs now. It just takes up too much room.

Mick

I'm a big fan of mitre saws, particularly where your workshop doesn't allow you all the necessary freedom of a half-decent table saw. An alternative to Roger's suggestion would be to build a kind of cross-cutting jig for your hand-held circular saw - you're bound to have or want one of those if you're building an extension, anyway! ;-)

This could be a simple L-shaped affair that sits on top of the work piece or, you could build a box-like construction where the wood is clamped inside and the saw runs over the top. One benefit in using a L-shaped jig is that your maximum width of cut capacities could far exceed those offered by most mitre saws, which is generally just over 305mm, these days.

I bought an SCMS years ago (Dewalt) for house renovations, and there is rarely a situation I do not use it, whether laying flooring, fitting skirting, building studwork, roofing, etc. etc. Of course you can do all these things by hand but it's SO much faster. Not only that, it is accurate.

When I started doing some "real" woodwork I also use it for all my initial cutting to length, which along with a bandsaw means I feel no desperate need to buy a table saw.

If you buy secondhand on ebay it will virtually keep its value anyway so you can always try and then sell on. Having used some cheapie ones though I reckon it's worth getting something reasonable.

Personally I think it will speed up your shed build. Good luck with it.

Thanks all. That's really answered the question! I'll let you know what I decide to do. I see there could be a difference between wanting to use one for the shed build, and considering if I would use one in my workshop long term.

softtop":3ie6p0vy said:
I bought an SCMS years ago (Dewalt) for house renovations, and there is rarely a situation I do not use it, whether laying flooring, fitting skirting, building studwork, roofing, etc. etc. Of course you can do all these things by hand but it's SO much faster. Not only that, it is accurate.

I also renovate houses and this is the exact reason I bought my Bosch SCMS, and I haven't stopped using it. It was comparatively cheap at £233 (inc vat) and they even threw in a second blade half price because I asked nicely! It was a much needed replacement for a B&Q Performance Power which was so inaccurate I stopped using it and cut everything by hand. My saw has a relatively small cross-cut capability but for renovations I find 270 x 60 mm more than adequate, and its very portable.

I wouldn't suggest buying a cheapo saw, but if you can find a good one - second-hand or otherwise, then it'll be invaluable for the build, and for all your future projects.

I,m with softtop. I am on my second Mitre saw and wouldnt be without it. I used the original one Power Pro slider for building my workshop and used it regularly (until it was stolen) Then I replaced it with a De Walt and stand and this get a lot of use also. I should also add I do have a good table saw too. :wink:

it doesn't have to be a slider, but i use mine all the time too. for ease of set up and it's much easier to cut to a line than on the table saw. if i were to be doing a production run, i would set up the table saw, otherwise, scms everytime.

jeff

Back