Should I buy this???

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TrimTheKing

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all

I have been looking at buying my first hand plane recently (new to all this woodworking business see) and also want to attend one of DC's tool courses next year. On the DC's site he says that a #5 is the most appropriate, and that only 'old' Stanley and Record planes are really useful for attaining decent results.

I have just found this and was hoping that one of you guys could tell me whether this falls into the 'old' category, and if so, what would be a reasonable price to expect to pay?

ebay link

I have sent the seller an email to see if it has any stamps etc with the manufacture date and awaiting reply.

Cheers

Mark

It's very difficult to gauge what the plane is going to perform like from a pic on the bay, f'instance, how do you know how flat the sole is.....I've seen a No5 from the 70's where the sole had bowed by 2mm at the mouth. Better I think to visit your local second hand tool emporium and have a good look at them in the 'flesh' (or cast iron as the case may be) - Rob

I've got a plane from that era that was my grandad's, I've dated it to probably around WWII period since its exactly like the immediate post war ones except it doesn't use brass for the screws or adjuster wheel (and brass wasn't used on Stanley planes during WWII). It isn't the best Stanley out there, but in good condition it should work well and is definately worth fettling a bit to produce a nice user plane. The one in the ebay link looks in superb condition, and I'd be happy to use that.

eBay is a bit of a lucky dip. You can however always sell stuff on again if it's not quite what you're after. Prices on eBay tend to shoot up in the last moments. Keep in mind that you're probably going to want to spend another £45 on cutting/cap irons. It's easy to wander towards Clifton/Lie-Nielson/Veritas budget territory, at which point you may as well just bite the bullet.

Personal experience tends me to be cautious of older planes still in their wrapping. It can just be because the owner got given it or whatever and just never used it, on the other hand it can be because the ruddy thing's faulty and they couldn't get it to work, so back in the wrapping it went. I have just such a #3, for my sins. :evil: Either way you're going to pay a premium just 'cos it's in its wrapping for a not particularly desirable age of plane, which is maybe a bit silly if you're looking for a user. Can't believe there isn't something slightly less pretty that'd do equally well at half the price. Preferrably with a well-used iron that's (hopefully) original to that plane and at least demonstrates the things works.

Cheers, Alf

Thanks for the replies guys.

I guess it is a bit of a lottery with anything from the 'bay. I will see how much it gets up to towards the final hour and make a call then.

I take on board all of your comments about biting the bullet and going in for an LN or Veritas from the off, but there is a part of me (in everything I do) that likes the sow's ear to silk purse challenge :roll:

But then again, the LN are mighty purdy looking beasts!

Thanks again, and I will let you know what I decide.

Cheers

Mark

Well the sales blurb says Vintage but it's a long way from that, chrome adjuster wheel not brass which suggests the Y lever is a two part bent mild steel not a cast one and a reinforced ribbed sole behind the tote, no it ain't vintage, This one is what would tempt me to bid, this one has the cast Y lever, brass adjuster and a much older un-reinforced sole. I would expect the price to rise to about £30 ish for either. So don't over bid, another will be along presently. :lol:

I got a nice, genuine 'vintage' 5 for a tenner recently - took a fine shaving straight out of the packing. On the other hand a 'non-vintage' No4 has never managed to do anything...

Lord Nibbo":2yy4w42o said:
Well the sales blurb says Vintage but it's a long way from that, chrome adjuster wheel not brass which suggests the Y lever is a two part bent mild steel not a cast one and a reinforced ribbed sole behind the tote, no it ain't vintage, This one is what would tempt me to bid, this one has the cast Y lever, brass adjuster and a much older un-reinforced sole. I would expect the price to rise to about £30 ish for either. So don't over bid, another will be along presently. :lol:

Great, thanks for the advice Mr Nibbo Sir :D

I will keep my eyes peeled, and am looking for a local junk...I mean second hand shop nearby for some weekend browsing.

Cheers

Mark

TrimTheKing":2vqvnk6s said:
On the DC's site he says that a #5 is the most appropriate

I've been on the course (it's fantastic) Mr C says "The most useful bench plane in my opinion is a No 5 1/2 or No 5" but his preference is for the 5 1/2 (wider and heavier).

I took an old 5 1/2 Stanley (bought locally), others took shiny LN's - I got to do a lot more hands on fettling and so learnt more for future purchases.

Have fun :mrgreen:

SeanG":13bz242c said:
I've been on the course (it's fantastic) Mr C says "The most useful bench plane in my opinion is a No 5 1/2 or No 5" but his preference is for the 5 1/2 (wider and heavier).

I took an old 5 1/2 Stanley (bought locally), others took shiny LN's - I got to do a lot more hands on fettling and so learnt more for future purchases.

Excellent, thanks for the advice :D

Cheers

Mark

SeanG":1h34ahl1 said:
TrimTheKing":1h34ahl1 said:
On the DC's site he says that a #5 is the most appropriate

I've just refurbed a Stanley #5 1/2 this is the one I mentioned buying recently in another thread.

633230842_82179f5440_o.jpg

£29 off Ebay everything stripped and cleaned, Tote stripped with paint stripper then sanded back to bare wood the top of the tote was ground back at least 1/2″ to remove a bad chip on the back edge so you could say it has been remodeled, then it had four coats of shellac and finished with black bison wax. The blade was re-ground and honed to my standard as it was in a sorry state when I received it.

633230986_88d7dc5717_o.jpg

:lol:

waterhead37":1kezm3cb said:
LN,
Looks great! I think you are giving Rob a run for his money!

I don't think so, just look at the work he put into the lever cap, his is a master piece. Mine is more of a fettling. :lol:

Slightly more than a fettling, methinks.

I bought a very rough Record #4 last week, and gave it a quick clean. I took the iron (standard Record 2") to my wood guru at school who sharpened it and gave me a Stay Set back iron for it. That £10 plane now goes pffft and takes a beautiful shaving. Still looks battered, but works (almost almost) as well as his L-N.

Back