Shortening bar stool legs

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spiderlane

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi Chaps,

I'm after some suggestions. I need to shorten the legs of a bar stool (these ones -> http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/70087212/. The difficulty is that the legs are both tapered and splayed so I'm struggling to work out how to mark out and make the cut in the right orientation.

The tools I have available are a hands saws, table saw, band saw and circular saw - any thoughts as to how I might go about this to ensure that all 4 cuts are flat with the floor and co-planar?

Cheers for any advice.

Mark

Hi - how much shorter do you want to make them?

If I were doing it, I'd place the stool on a known flat surface and scribe all the way round each foot with a pencil attached to a piece of scrap arranged to give the right thickness - then cut to the line and finesse with a block plane and/or sandpaper.

Cheers, W2S

That's the right way to go. Another application of that method is to level uneven legs. Put the piece on a flat floor, shim the the feet until the top is level then scribe a line and cut to that. I sometimes have to take off rather a lot with this method :oops:

Funny, I've done the same job to the same stools using just that method. It worked fine with my breakfast bar......

Latest posts

Back