Short gouges

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stoatyboy

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi - following on from the thread about making your own turning tools i'm now a bit worried...

Having blagged a lathe and the tools near it in the shed from next door I do remember being a bit surprised that all the gouges and everything seemed a bit shorter than the nice long tools I see on you tube etc

didn't think a great deal of it at the time but now i'm a bit worried they are not what they should be for the job

must add the lathe is still in bits and not near being used so no immediate danger

they are basically the same length as 'normal' chisels say 10" and half is blade and half handle - they seem 'proper' as in original handles and the shape they were meant to be and have makers stamps on them (some of them) and tangs and stuff but nothing like the long ones i see used. Widths from 1" to 7/16"

Could they be carving chisels misused? or is there a subset of turners addicted to short tools? It looks like there's some parting tools also really short (but very chunky)

you're going to ask for photo's arn't you?!

cheers - Pete

I knew that how silly of me

I've got to cook tea now

and then it's torch wood

and then it's friday night curry night swimbo's birthday

i'll try to post some up over weekend - bear with me!

cheers

Could just be someone with a fast grinder and a low grit wheel. When learning to sharpen my bowl gouges they went down like ice pops for the first few inches. (and still do when I keep trying different grinds). Pics would be handy though.

Just use them and see how you go. You'll soon get a sense of what you need in the way of replacements, if anything.
Basically any old bit of steel (with a sharp edge) can be used, but a purpose made tool is likely to make life easier.

Tangs? The only gouge that I have with a 'tang' is my spindle roughing gouge and as has been said before it's in the name and should only be used for spindle work. Correction, skew gouges have tangs too, same applies, only spindle work unless you use them for shear scraping..

I agree with everyone else, need pikkies please :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Back