shopping for more wood

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

caretaker

Established Member
Reaction score
I am going to W.L.West & Sons Ltd nr Petworth on Saturday.
Has anyone been there before and what is it like.
I am after wood blanks for turning and some more polish.
I have looked at the web site www.wlwest.co.uk
Will report back.

They have a good selection of blanks, and planked timbers as well.

Can be quite expensive buying the pre-prepared blanks (though I don't think Wests are more expensive particularly than other places), but most of the time you have little if any wastage through cracks or defects, so that in theory balances out the cost some.

I cut all my own these days from "scavanged" timber, but you need a fair bit of kit and time to do it and wastage is high, so unless you are really serious it is actually a lot easier and cheaper to buy a few pre-prepared blanks.

Other local sources include John Davis Woodturning near Stockbridge http://www.johndaviswoodturning.co.uk/, Wood by Post down near Andover http://www.woodbypost.fsnet.co.uk/index.htm, or of course mail order from Craft Supplies etc.

Hope you enjoy, and let us know how you get on........

Cheers, Paul. :D

Not been there for several years. They had an area with priced blanks and lengths of timber for immediate sale plus a selection of sundries. During the week part of their main timber store was available for inspection, not sure if its open at weekends. I purchased several lengths of timber and was very pleased with it.

Bob

I have returned from W.L.West.
Nice drive down there, stopped off at Midhurst for lunch.
Found the place dead easy.
Not a lot of wood blanks compared with Yandles and not much exotic wood that I could see.
Found the prices a bit high.
I did get a L.E.D. lamp for the lathe and six blanks.
Will keep to Yandles, but maybe okay to go to for a change.
If anyone is passing it is worth dropping in as they did have a nice selection of pen blanks, some clock movements,weather meters.
Hope I am not to hard on them as I have only visited two places.

It was West's show a couple of weeks ago which could explain the less than full blank shelves. It is my nearest supplier so I go fairly frequently. They have been really helpful and really know their wood. I went to Stiles & Bates a few weeks ago and thought they where a bit pricey. On reflection this was probably because I ended up buying wood that I wouldn't normally buy at West's. I'm a happy customer, but now you've got me thinking that I should visit Yandles :roll:

Yandles will blow your mind!!!!!
They have a large craft shop for the wife and a very nice cafe, clean but old toilets, good parking.
It is a long drive but fairly easy to find.

Latest posts

Back