Shop Vac

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vikash

Established Member
Reaction score
Argh! All these choices driving me nuts. I'm looking for my first vac/extractor for my garage workshop - something that I can use with my power tools (mitre saw/router/table saw/sanders) and also to vacuum up the shop floor from time to time.

I'll be working mainly with MDF, plywood and softwoods. There's often tiny aluminium shavings near the mill/drill press so it would be nice if I can vac some of that up too.

On a budget of around £200, any recommendations?

I mean, do I get something like this or should I be looking something more like this? :?

V

Hi Vikash

To do all your requirements the type of vac from your first link would be best. The Axminster ADE1200 cannot deal with reducing the hose diameter if any of your power tools have a smaller than 4inch hose connector and it will not filter out 0.5micron dust from MDF and sanders etc.

The Vac systems are noisier but a better all rounder. The tools you have mentioned are within the capability of a single motor Vac, if you have or get a planer/thicknesser/spindle moulder you would probably need a twin or even triple motor and even then with a spindle moulder you might be better with the ADE1200 style. The similar questions came up here:

https://www.ukworkshop.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=30634&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=15

I'd go for a Camvac from Yandles (which seems to be the cheapest place to get hold of them) I'll be after a GV386 shortly :wink: - Rob

I recommend this:
qb35.gif

I've had mine for years and it does everything I want as a vacuum.

Of course, if you want a chip extractor for machinery as opposed to a vacuum for power tools, then you are looking at a different animal.

Cheers
Steve

cutting42":2lo5ib7m said:
Hi Vikash

To do all your requirements the type of vac from your first link would be best. The Axminster ADE1200 cannot deal with reducing the hose diameter if any of your power tools have a smaller than 4inch hose connector and it will not filter out 0.5micron dust from MDF and sanders etc.

The Vac systems are noisier but a better all rounder. The tools you have mentioned are within the capability of a single motor Vac, if you have or get a planer/thicknesser/spindle moulder you would probably need a twin or even triple motor and even then with a spindle moulder you might be better with the ADE1200 style. The similar questions came up here:

https://www.ukworkshop.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=30634&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=15

Although I've not actually bought it yet I finally decided on a Camvac CGV336-4, 55 litre extraction unit, 4 in. inlet, twin motor. Seems to be the closest to what I was trying to achieve with a simple plumbed-in system. The also make a single motor version and a 2.5" version and you can put them on wheels and buy the optional floor-sweep kit. The CGC336 is also just the right size to go under a bench. I couldn't find any equivalent alternative from Record.
This could be just what your looking for in a garage setup. You could use it on wheels from machine to machine now and maybe plumb it in later. I'd pay the extra and go for the 4" version from the outset.

Mark

Thanks for the replies. I'm leaning towards one of the Camvacs, but what's with the cost of the hoses (£28 ) and castors (£30)? Is there something special about them, or can I just use a hose from an old vacuum?

I've also got one of the one of those plumbed-in-the-house-vacums which I don't use, and the hose for that stretches 10m or so. Any good, or being silly?

V

Looks like a great choice, I am in the middle of setting up my DX5000 systems with a combination of 63mm plumbed system for the dust producers and 100mm for the TS and PT.

Vikash":ny2p3e0a said:
Thanks for the replies. I'm leaning towards one of the Camvacs, but what's with the cost of the hoses (£28 ) and castors (£30)? Is there something special about them, or can I just use a hose from an old vacuum?

I've also got one of the one of those plumbed-in-the-house-vacums which I don't use, and the hose for that stretches 10m or so. Any good, or being silly?

V

In principle yes you can, the only caveat would be the Camvac is pretty powerful and might collapse a regular vacuum hose. But if you have it already, I would give it a go. However if you want a plumbed in system you will need a proper hose as it need to withstand higher vac pressures with the blast gates shut etc.

I've sat my camvac on a circle of plywood (sized to fit snugly inside the rim), on 3 normal castors. Works well, saved a few quid and you can lift it straight off to empty it.

Jake":1ajzddw4 said:
I've sat my camvac on a circle of plywood (sized to fit snugly inside the rim), on 3 normal castors. Works well, saved a few quid and you can lift it straight off to empty it.

Which Camvac do you have Jake ?

386 3-motor - it was a mispricing on a website which they were good enough to honour (cheaper than the two motor).

Rather highjacking someone else's thread, but have you got it permanently plumbed in and if so, what's your longest pipe length ? I'm trying to get an idea of how much I can stretch the 2-motor, 4" I'm planning.

Sorry, I can't help there- I just wheel mine about between machines. I haven't the headroom for a fixed system (cellar workshop) and I've never been bothered enough about changing the hose over to care.

Hi Vikash

Just to add a little more to the choice, I use a Fein QA35. It's great with all of the machines you mention, and makes a good household vacuum too.

Like Jake, I don't bother with a permanently plumbed in system - I just plug it in to whatever power tool I happen to be working with. It also has a power take off point - great for with the table saw/router etc.

Cheers

Karl

Jake":2b0pr5qs said:
Sorry, I can't help there- I just wheel mine about between machines. I haven't the headroom for a fixed system (cellar workshop) and I've never been bothered enough about changing the hose over to care.

I too have a cellar workshop; with only 2 meter headroom. I'm planning running the pipes along the wall as high up as possible. It's because the cellar is so enclosed that I want to minimise dust as much as possible with a plumbed in system. I'm also considering an air filter as well.

I'm down to deciding between three 0.5 micron filtered vacs - the Record Power RSDE2, Camvac GV336 (single motor, 2.5"), or Trend TA30AF. I'd really like a Camvac from what I've read, but the RSDE2 has all the attachments included which makes it so much more appealing.

Any last opinions/reasons to go for one of the other before I purchase...?

V

Vikash":220kaxpr said:
I'm down to deciding between three 0.5 micron filtered vacs - the Record Power RSDE2, Camvac GV336 (single motor, 2.5"), or Trend TA30AF. I'd really like a Camvac from what I've read, but the RSDE2 has all the attachments included which makes it so much more appealing.

Any last opinions/reasons to go for one of the other before I purchase...?

V

I'd definately pay the extra and go for a 4" instead of 2.5". You can always easily step down to smaller diameter pipes and you then have the possibility of more volume suck when you, perhaps, find 2.5" is too little.
My original plan was identical to yours, ie; single motor 2.5", GV336 or RSDE2. After a lot of consideration and advice seeking I first decided 40 quid was definately worth it to get 4" but later decided that 45 quid more was not that much to get 2 motors :D . And I decided on the GV336 instead of a Record DX4000 based on price. Even if you currently have no plans for a plumbed-in system you'll be ready to do it if you go for 2 motors. One motor is only sufficient for a drag-around-the-floor system.
Of course, all this is only based on advice I've received myself. I don't yet own such an extractor :shock:
What I do have now is a shop-vac with a similar spec to the Trend TA30AF. This works well with my router table and other power tools but is woefully lacking when connected to my t/s. My soon to arrive p/t would be a non-starter - hence my need for something bigger.

Hope this helps.
Mark

HI

I have just brought the camvac336 twin motor with 2 1/2" and on the use it has had already it is great.

I wanted it for dust control so a 2 1/2" was the best option but for shavings you might need the 4".

It is a bit more expecive than the others but I think it is worth the extra.

It might be worth giving Gary Whitehead at camvac a ring and discussing it with him he knows his product inside out and can give you the best advice.

john

Thanks for the help guys. I went for the one based on noise, cost, performance specs (on my dust creating tools), included attachments, and something I could lug outside and use in the car - the Trend T30AF.

Latest posts

Back