Members can turn off viewing Ads!

Shop air kit...

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

nickds1

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi

Having rebuilt my workshop (floor collapsed in the old one - it was 150 years old after all...), I'm now looking at installing shop air...

In the USA they seem to have kits available for around $90, but getting one to the UK is costly - as much again. At the moment, I have a compressor under a bench then drag hoses around the place. Sub optimal.

Are there kits available in the UK without the loony import and postal charges? What should I be looking for? Plastic pipe and quick couplers? What diameter? What type of moisture remover? Who to go to?

Basically, I'd really appreciate advice!

Thanks

finish_that

Established Member
Reaction score
This depends on what you use the air for, blow gun and nailer/brad/stapler then you don`t need anything with high capacity or a dryer, you can use decent rubber hose and clip it under benches it is really cheap in 10m lengths .
If you want to run sanders, spray gun , then its unlikely that the typical small compressor will run them and a fixed, plumbed system is going to cost.

nickds1

Established Member
Reaction score
I already use the rubber hoses etc. and it's a pain. I do use nailers etc. as well as impact drivers and so on, so the compressor is sized for that.

The whole point is to switch to a multi-point fixed infrastructure - I have a cellar too (the woodwork shop) which needs air as well as the main shop.

mbartlett99

Established Member
Reaction score
We use a reel in the engine room which frankly I find much handier than anything else. Unfortunately I can't point you to an inexpensive uk source.

finish_that

Established Member
Reaction score
we setup air points using tap fixings from the following ebay seller:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Outside-Tap- ... 0290.m3507

using flexible hose to connect between and adaptors to connect the hose , thats in a car garage and works well with the largest diameter flexible hose.
Flexi hose tied up with clips and cable ties , max distance 20m 4 air points and a 250 litre compressor , fixed/rigid pipe is much harder to run at a low budget , we are using high demand tools including 3/4 impact , and tyre fitting machine.