Shelving gallows brackets Qf

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PolyHive

Reaction score
I am about to make brackets for three lengths of shelving 500mm deep.
I am using pine 46 x 34mm and had thought of a 500x 500 triangle with the long side 707mm. I am wondering if making the long leg shorter might be as strong but also look better?
There is nothing massively heavy to go on the shelving but I want them reasonably strong too so I was planning on 7 brackets per 3m shelf length.
Comments welcome. Preferably positive.....LOL

I’ve made similar brackets and made the leg attached to the wall shorter ( similar to your measurements )as I wanted a certain amount of space in between the shelves .they are comfortably holding up multiple kilos of timber with only 5 brackets on a 2.2 metre run . I did however carefully drill two screws from the back of the brackets into the diagonal bracket supports and of course glued them square. Only real difference is I used 2x2 timber.

Its all about triangulation, the strongest has to be with the support at 45° so if you make the wall length shorter, keep the 45° and have some overhang on the shelf.

Its all about triangulation, the strongest has to be with the support at 45° so if you make the wall length shorter, keep the 45° and have some overhang on the shelf.
yes I think I am going to keep the pure triangle to max the diagonal length.

It's been suggested to go to a thicker ply but the timber is a lot cheaper than the plywood so I am tempted to keep the 12mm for the shelving as they are not going to be supporting anything really heavy. Possibly one shelf could do with it to support the wine. :)

the true strength is the strength of a mortice and tenon shoulder/ end. so make your diagonal shorter this will increase its push through strength on the mortice. but the ends of the diagonal are best mortice and tenoned. the end of tthesquare bit can be screwed( horizontal on top)

I'm sure you are totally correct but I don't have the skills nor time to attempt that. By the time I have done all the shelves that would be heading north of 40 joints. I can't even find anything on how to M&T 45 degrees to vertical? Anyway it's academic as it ain't happening here. :) Thanks for the input though.

Back