Mdf floating shelves

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crispy70

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

My daughter has asked me to make her 10 x 450mm x 170mm x30mm floating shelves.
I have ordered from the jungle several types of brackets to check out, mainly with a bar diameter of 10 or 12mm.
My plan is to use 18mm & 12mm fixed together. 18mm on top , with a routed 10 or 12 mm wide and deep groove underneath the 18mm and the 12 mm glued underneath. I thought this would be way easier than drilling them out.

I am a relative novice but does this sound this a plan that should work?
Thanks in advance
Chris

seems like a good way to make the slots without a drill press, my only concern would be the freshly cut grooves getting bunged up with glue when you laminate the two layers together.

seems like a good way to make the slots without a drill press, my only concern would be the freshly cut grooves getting bunged up with glue when you laminate the two layers together.
Thanks for the reply. I do have a drill press but I just thought for me this way, and the fact she wanted 30mm might be my best option. Tbh I hadn’t even considered glue going in the grooves so thanks for pointing that out.

Thanks for the reply. I do have a drill press but I just thought for me this way, and the fact she wanted 30mm might be my best option. Tbh I hadn’t even considered glue going in the grooves so thanks for pointing that out.
i wonder if a second smaller groove running around the outside of your main groove could act as a barrier to excess glue

If you haven't already got the wood you may be better ti use two pieces of 15mm, sometimes when laminating mdf unequal thicknesses will cause the whole panel to bow a bit.

If you haven't already got the wood you may be better ti use two pieces of 15mm, sometimes when laminating mdf unequal thicknesses will cause the whole panel to bow a bit.
Unfortunately I have already arranged it. Is that the case with mr mdf as well?

I see we have Mr MDF, do we also have Mrs MDF? 🤣

Well, you guys did ask for a joke, albeit in the wrong place!
question.gif

MDF has little structural strength but at 450 mm long you are probably safe enough.
Some of the floating shelf brackets need a friction fit in a circular hole so you will probably need to rout a semi circular channel in each piece. The adjustable brackets are better as it's difficult to get two brackets exactly level drilling into masonry.

MDF has little structural strength but at 450 mm long you are probably safe enough.
Some of the floating shelf brackets need a friction fit in a circular hole so you will probably need to rout a semi circular channel in each piece. The adjustable brackets are better as it's difficult to get two brackets exactly level drilling into masonry.
Thanks for the reply, I did opt for the adjustable ones. I made one today and tested it and it all seems to be fine.

Thanks for the reply, I did opt for the adjustable ones. I made one today and tested it and it all seems to be fine.
Great. To get a friction fit the hole should be the same as the bar diameter and that's going to be challenging. I think I would make a jig for the drill press. ;)

thanks for all of the advice guys.
They are up and haven't fallen down as of yet.
For some reason, the picture and the shadows make the spacing look but I have checked twice and they all are fine. The most important thing is that my daughter is happy :)

IMG-0440.jpg

Latest posts

Back