Shelf pins/pegs

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

p111dom

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all, I'm in the middle of a book case project and need some shelf pins. There are lots around but my sister kitchen has pins that are chrome/chrome effect metal pins that fit into a metal sleeve in the carcass. I like this feature as the veneered mdf would be much less likely to get chipped than if I drilled holes directly for the pins alone. I can find plenty of pins but not corresponding sleeves. All the hinges are Blum but a search for Blum pins came up blank. Has anyone used or seen these and knows of a supplier?

Thanks. Did try Isacc Lord first but looked in cabinet hardware not realising there was a specific shelf support section. Ordered them today.

No need to buy them just make them.
I've inherited several sets of bookcases and cupboards with shelf ends each sitting on pairs of 1" lengths of 1/2" dowel sitting in 1/2" holes. Looks perfectly neat and works really well. The holes are drilled in a row so the shelf heights are adjustable.
Could be made even neater e.g. neatly turned hardwood dowels half housed in the underside of the shelf end.
Another alternative is the rack and insert method (I don't know what its called) where you have vertical laths (say 1 1/4" x 1/4") attached to the cupboard sides, notched (interesting design possibilities here) with a shelf supporting insert (also 1 1/4" x 1/4") bridging between the laths sitting in the notches.

Do you need to order a massive volume of components to order from Würth?

The only reason I ask is because the bloke I used to work for had a rep come round and check his stock levels, take an order then it would be with him next day, or the one after. Very handy if you've got a lot on. And I really rate Würth stuff, seemed proper well made.

Cheers_Dan.

goldeneyedmonkey":bg1nlg17 said:
Do you need to order a massive volume of components to order from Würth?

Don't know; I know that any company that insists I go to Croydon to buy from them doesn't get my business, though... :shock:

Pete

p111dom":2fswmqeh said:
Hi all, I'm in the middle of a book case project and need some shelf pins. There are lots around but my sister kitchen has pins that are chrome/chrome effect metal pins that fit into a metal sleeve in the carcass. I like this feature as the veneered mdf would be much less likely to get chipped than if I drilled holes directly for the pins alone. I can find plenty of pins but not corresponding sleeves. All the hinges are Blum but a search for Blum pins came up blank. Has anyone used or seen these and knows of a supplier?

Isaac Lord do what are referred to in their catalogue as 'Steel Spoon Shelf Studs'. but they do not appear on line.
Its a metal stud that fits into a recessed socket with a flared end that fits in the side wall. One end of the stud is circular, the other is flattened, like a spoon shape to sit the shelf on. They do require some super accurate drilling, both in position and in depth if the shelf is not to have a wobble.

I bought a load (about 10 years ago) for a Kitchen and according to their book are available as Nikel effect (looks like Chrome) or plated brass.

The part No for the nikel ones are:

28204719, the sleeve is 28250704.
A call to Isaac Lord should determine if they are still available.

If you only need a few, I may have some left over.

./

Back