Shed/Store advice needed please

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mahking51

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi All
Just getting around to my much needed shed/store so that I can move the c**p out of my WS and re-organise; clad walls, put in DX etc and finally get my Excalibur!
I have a concrete plinth that is 18' x 7' x 4" thick and I have an SU drawing of the rough design:
Timber-store.jpg

Can anyone point me to some good 'Shed' books or resources please or chip in with any advice?

It is going to be solely for storage so the window (s) will be non opening and opaque glass. I will be keeping timber in there so do I need to provide venting/ ventilation; should I insulate the walls? What is the best way to do the base; ditto the roof? I thought shiplap the best route?
I want this to be a structure that will last and above all be dry!
All help welcome.
Regards
Martin

Two things I would say is ,
1/ Put on an apexs roof as it gives you alot more head room ( if you get a round to building bigger pieces you will need it )
2/ Try to get more windows in as nateral light is much better ( I have 5 big windows in mine and would like a sky light but thinking about that )

ColinC
I need to keep this as low as possible; the shed will be for overflow storage and timber ONLY, I will hardly ever go in there. The window will be opaque to avoid prying eyes!
regards
Martin

:D Martin allthrough we all wer'nt impresed with Tommys work shop, the ideas he used in building it were IMHO quiet good, by building a frame and useing ship lap and puting a damp prof menbrame down must help by the look of it they are repeating the program this weekend.

all the best

Martyn :D

Out of intrest why are you putting 2 doors on it? is one so you can get access to the DX because personally I would have gone for a set of double doors for easy access to my wood store.

Simon

If you overhang the roof more, you'll get less drips on the walls which might keep the moisutre out. Also, you will need to think about whether pools of water form near the plynth and moisture is drawn into the concrete base.

Given the situation, I'd likely put a drain pipe and gutters to wick as much of the water off the roof away to somewhere else.

Adam

SRS & Mailee
There will be two doors so I can get long bits of timber in and out onto the racks that will be on the back wall via the door in the end and wider bits and bobs via the front wider door.
As I said before this is NOT a Workshop just a storage area for all the non woodwork junk that I and SWMBO currently throw in the WS to my intense annoyance! I am lucky to have the space to build this fairly large.

Adam
Fully intend to add guttering; roofwise I am considering a plywood roof covered in fiberglass and then gelcoated as I have never been a great fan of the old roofing felt method.
Perhaps there is some better technology that I am unaware of?
Regards
martin

mahking51":2g66uizx said:
Adam
Fully intend to add guttering; roofwise I am considering a plywood roof covered in fiberglass and then gelcoated as I have never been a great fan of the old roofing felt method.
Perhaps there is some better technology that I am unaware of?
Regards
martin

Martin,

I live in a bungalow which has been extended over the years and has several flat roofs. When the old felt gave up the ghost I wanted something different and I went to these people http://www.polyroof.co.uk/store/Home.aspx

I was very pleased with the result. The cost was not much more than a conventional felt roof. Don't know if you would consider their stuff too good for a shed but if you want something that will last it might be worth asking them for a quote.

Paul

Martin,

I know that you have already made the point about two doors but you are still losing quite a lot of wall space by having two entrances.

Could you not keep the end door and make it 3ft 6? This will still give you access to the long stuff but also allow you to get the bigger bits and bobs out easily. It will also remove the potentially less useful 2ft x 3ft area between the doors (ie the nearest corner in the diagram) and thus give you more storage.

Cheers

Tim

I have to agree that the 2 doors seems a waste.

Latest posts

Back