shed build base?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mangokid

Established Member
Reaction score
Finally, got around to pulling down the old rotten shed that was in the house when we bought it, only to find this mess...

IMG_5062.JPG

IMG_5059.JPG

Not sure if it's clear from the pics, but the rubble/stone is well above the level of the path in front of it.

Plan before it came down was to lay a concrete base for a new shed/workshop, I figured it was probably soil under the shed, didn't expect all this!. Problem is clearing all this by hand first, as access is limited there's no other option. It's a big space, Ideally like to build a 10x18 structure.

My first thought would be what other options for a base given the mess? Just seems to be a huge task to clear all this and dig down from level!

Second thought was could I level this rubble some how, using it as hardcore and lay the concrete in a tall timber frame, it would end up about 8inches above level tho! OR is digging down a requirement?

The old shed was sitting on these sleepers, they weight a ton, could maybe be reused for the same purpose, (with a damp membrane this time)?
IMG_5066.JPG

Any thoughts? Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_5059.JPG
    IMG_5059.JPG
    46.4 KB · Views: 1,585
  • IMG_5062.JPG
    IMG_5062.JPG
    48.6 KB · Views: 1,585
  • IMG_5066.JPG
    IMG_5066.JPG
    40.8 KB · Views: 1,585
Hi what is in the middle of the picture is it a path , not that it matters you could level the site put shuttering around the outside rake back from the edges so you have a slope at edge round the outside you could get a wakeplate to compact the hardcore then concerte the Base .
Hope this helps any questions just message me
Cheers pip

Just do it properly, clear up the junk and make a proper base.
Try to list those sleepers on ebay instead as - super exclusive reclaimed antique sleepers?

Also you can list the rubble on gumtree/ebay just as FREE Rubble, someone always need stuff like that :D They will come and help you clean it up and take it away...
It's a big structure, and hopefully will be a nice workshop in future? Just do it properly once... If you don't you will always think about it and regret it.

Unless you have an area already prepared i.e. a patio then my experience is the base takes time and effort, there is just no avoiding it if you want to do it right.

F.

If access is limited and you do not want the rubble on the shed site for some reason, build a rockery with rubble in another area of garden!

I built a base for a shed 18 x 9 by constructing 12 pads. I dug down to sub soil then concreted a pad. I actually made all the pads dead level by shuttering off the tops then concreted all level to that. You can also dig out holes and build using concrete blocks. If you create pads then you will have to span them with bearers of some sort, I use steel I beams 5" x 3". It does mean the floor height of the shed is higher, but uses a lot less concrete

A 100mm concrete slab 18' x 10' is over 3 tonnes of material!, around 3 or 4 bulk bags of ballast

I still had to lower the soil level and that with the spoil from the holes created enough soil for a large skip. Unfortunately if you want the shed floor close to ground level a reduced dig is the only option!

pip1954":jackcmye said:
Hi what is in the middle of the picture is it a path , not that it matters you could level the site put shuttering around the outside rake back from the edges so you have a slope at edge round the outside you could get a wakeplate to compact the hardcore then concerte the Base .
Hope this helps any questions just message me
Cheers pip

Thanks, its just another square of concrete in the middle there, strangely, it ends where you see it in the picture. I cleared some of the rubble to see what was underneath. Hopefully it's not covering an old WW2 shelter!

MrDavidRoberts":1f5anuuw said:
Just do it properly, clear up the junk and make a proper base.
Try to list those sleepers on ebay instead as - super exclusive reclaimed antique sleepers?

You're not wrong! But that's 3 ton of rubble to go out with a few buckets and a spade, I'll be here until christmas! Was looking for the next best option.

I do like the gumtree idea tho, thanks.

RobinBHM":19hlkb01 said:
I built a base for a shed 18 x 9 by constructing 12 pads. I dug down to sub soil then concreted a pad. I actually made all the pads dead level by shuttering off the tops then concreted all level to that. You can also dig out holes and build using concrete blocks. If you create pads then you will have to span them with bearers of some sort, I use steel I beams 5" x 3". It does mean the floor height of the shed is higher, but uses a lot less concrete

A 100mm concrete slab 18' x 10' is over 3 tonnes of material!, around 3 or 4 bulk bags of ballast

I still had to lower the soil level and that with the spoil from the holes created enough soil for a large skip. Unfortunately if you want the shed floor close to ground level a reduced dig is the only option!

Thanks, that sounds like a good option, don't suppose you took any pictures of the build?

I was not allowed to dig down for my shed base due to planning and mature tree root zone. I employed a pier block foundation approach. See link. I'd have preferred to dig each pier, shutter with ply and pour concrete level, but even this was not allowed. I think my photos combined with some of the descriptions above give you the info you need.

6mx3m-pent-workshop-build-t97540.html

Regards.

Fitz

Fitzroy":2rvwgpga said:
I was not allowed to dig down for my shed base due to planning and mature tree root zone. I employed a pier block foundation approach. See link. I'd have preferred to dig each pier, shutter with ply and pour concrete level, but even this was not allowed. I think my photos combined with some of the descriptions above give you the info you need.

6mx3m-pent-workshop-build-t97540.html

Regards.

Fitz

Great build! very helpful, thanks. I just started to clear the ground today, wasn't too bad so far. Should get it level quick enough...

Back