Sharpening

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

But back to the arguing, maybe jacob can run us through sharpening his flint axe in the dark ages......
No problemo. You either flake off the edge or rub it up and down on something a bit abrasive. Or both. Nothing has changed in the intervening 5000 years.
I guess a sharp flint edge would need to be a bit more than 30º I've never thought about it.
What would the recommended primary, secondary, and tertiary micro bevels be for bronze?

I've had a few Opinels. Easy to sharpen, you haven't an opinel of keeping them sharp.
ho ho!
Good for their intended use, they can be sharpened on just about anything.
I use a steel if there's one handy. Or just a piece of steel such as the back of another knife (or fork, spoon, tent peg, etc)

Exactly. Camp 1, which is fine.
D_w's point is that his edge can last longer. As for money, lapping film is cheap. Time? Not really much extra, maybe 20 seconds with a buffing wheel.... Davids point to his lower angle was that you only regrind to the angle once, then its set and youd do as normal, but at the new lower angle and if you have a buffing wheel, great.

Before anyone gets all hot and bothered about my posts, I've read d_w's stuff and I havent changed my angle. I do use the buffing wheel now and its great. At some point I'll do a 25° bevel and see what happens, but the likelihood is i wont even notice, because im a site chippy, so edge life doesnt matter as much as if you were predominantly a hand tool user ( which again, d_w has made clear )
Last longer than what? He's just a bloke with an opinion like everyone else, and I'm pretty sure he's not the all knowing expert on woodworking that he thinks he is.

You'd be better off making your own trials than relying on someone else's opinion.

What would the recommended primary, secondary, and tertiary micro bevels be for bronze?
Primary at jagged rock angle, secondary at more jagged rock angle and if you can fit a third bevel, you need seriously jagged rock angle 🤣

Last longer than what? He's just a bloke with an opinion like everyone else, and I'm pretty sure he's not the all knowing expert on woodworking that he thinks he is.
Yebbut what about his big magnifying glasses? :oops: :unsure:

You'd be better off making your own trials than relying on someone else's opinion.

Well, in the writing, he describes setting up a test using the same pieces of wood, with the blades sharpened in different ways for each plane for the test. He ( from memory) focussed on delivering the same pressure with each pass and counted how many strokes he got until the edge dulled.
Certainly it seemed well set out and he redid the tests to make sure he wasnt inadvertently engineering a result. To be fair, if you read it, it does sound very unbiased.

Im not claiming that d_w is any type of authority, just putting across in words the basis of his opinion.... and he clearly knows more about steel than you or i 🤷‍♂️

I don't claim to know anything about steel, why would I, I'm a chippy? I do know about wood and I know when someone is spouting bull about being fabulous and all sorts of smashing with hand tools.

I read some blurb on lapping film. Here it is....

"How to Use Lapping Film
First use a 600 grit diamond stone to remove any nicks, chips or imperfections from the blade. Then sharpen the edge as you normally would until you have a good edge at around 1200 grit.
Put 3-4 drops of lubricant on the film making sure it is spread evenly across the film. I use Krud Kutter as a lubricant but glass cleaner or any all-purpose cleaner works better than nothing.
Next, using a back stroke as you would when stropping, take 50-75 strokes on each side of the blade. Continue until you have reached the desired level of sharpness for that grit. (The number of strokes will vary depending on the hardness of the knife and the angle you are using.)"

From How to Use Lapping Film for Sharpening

That doesn't sound like a quick method of sharpening anything to me, but it does sound like being an obsessive sharpener and nothing else.

It reminds me of someone else on here.

I don't claim to know anything about steel, why would I, I'm a chippy?

I read some blurb on lapping film. Here it is....

"How to Use Lapping Film
First use a 600 grit diamond stone to remove any nicks, chips or imperfections from the blade. Then sharpen the edge as you normally would until you have a good edge at around 1200 grit.
Put 3-4 drops of lubricant on the film making sure it is spread evenly across the film. I use Krud Kutter as a lubricant but glass cleaner or any all-purpose cleaner works better than nothing.
Next, using a back stroke as you would when stropping, take 50-75 strokes on each side of the blade. Continue until you have reached the desired level of sharpness for that grit. (The number of strokes will vary depending on the hardness of the knife and the angle you are using.)"

From How to Use Lapping Film for Sharpening

That doesn't sound like a quick method of sharpening anything to me, but it does sound like being an obsessive sharpener and nothing else.

It reminds me of someone else on here.
Yep there's a lot of it about. It's a load of baloney.
What is lapping film exactly? No don't tell me I don't want to know!

It a cheap way of getting razors properly sharp. If you wanted to get a sharper edge, you could buy a couple of the finer grits of paper to finish off your normal routine. Or if you dont, dont.

It goes back to post 415

No point discussing it any further

I've had about enough of your trolling.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back