Sharpening tools

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

morris

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi there
any good tips on how to gring a new bowl gouge to be swept back.
I seem to have such a carry on getting my gouges to the right profile

Morris

Best advice I have read is first to decide what profile you are aiming for,then turn the gouge upside down and grind it to the angle you want.After this,turn the gouge round to the normal manner,and you have an edge to follow to be able to sharpen to.(i.e. get the shape,then the edge)
Obviously easier if you have a grinding jig,but equally possible to do freehand.

Andrew

Hi Morris
Can I ask you why you need it ground swept back? I`ve just posted asking for the correct grind for a bowl gouge and would be interested in your comments?.
Cheers
Steve

Hiya Andrew, never heard of that before, bloody great Idea ,Hope Blister has some gouges left when I get into this one :lol: Regards Boysie.

boysie39":2izlruui said:
Hiya Andrew, never heard of that before, bloody great Idea ,Hope Blister has some gouges left when I get into this one :lol: Regards Boysie.

If the hoard he's been buying up recently is anything to go by he can keep us all well stocked for the foreseeable future :lol:

Pete

morris":ydo1mjni said:
...any good tips on how to gring a new bowl gouge to be swept back.
Morris

Basically you need some form of jig that follows the pattern of the Sorby, Tormek, Wolverine or the like.

1. Basically you need to be able to adjust the angle of the tool clamp to the pivoting stem/arm.

2. You need to be able to vary the distance of the pivot point from the stone.

The biggest fault most of us make when trying to do this, and a lot of the tool jig suppliers basic settings are guilty of producing this, is that the 'wings' end up at a sharper angle than the front angle, this gives you a gouge that has a remarkable ability to grab and dig in the moment you move onto the side grind.

So the main aim is to get the same angle on the sides as the front to the tool, this is easier with some bowl gouges (U shaped) than the narrower (Vee Shaped) flutes.

Have a look at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cRqcth2rBaE for basic principles.

Remember also that whatever the jig you use the final shape of the tip is dependant on you and the amount of time each area of the tool is in contact with the stone.

Mornin' Morris.

As already suggested, when grinding a gouge with swept back wings you benefit by having a 'U' shaped groove. Rather than a 'V' shaped one. Also the depth of the groove makes a big difference to the shape as well. Some bowl gouge grooves are only ground to half way into the bar, this type leaves a very thick/heavy bevel at the nose. The others are ground so that the groove is 2/3rds into the depth of the bar, IMO this is the type you need for a very versatile grind. Also these grinds only really work on gouges that are 3/8th and bigger, the smaller ones don't really have the strength for you using the full side edge.

Andrew mentioned about turning a gouge on it's back to grind the corners of the groove to the shape you desire. Good idea, I always do this with a new gouge, and it is possible to follow up with grinding free hand, BUT I think that a jig is the only way to go if you want a good grind with a consistent shape. They are very easily made so need not cost lots.

Hi Steve, you don't need a swept back grind, and I would suggest that anyone who is learning should stay with the conventional grind. Once competent with a chisel though you can do a variety of different cuts with a swept back tool. 1/ The tip is a lot narrower than normal so can take small cuts deep over the rest. 2/ The wings really come into their own when used on the outside of the bowl, you can work from the tip, then swinging your hand move the cut onto the wing and the further you go round the heavier the cut is. 3/ You can use the wing edge for sheer cutting, and sheer scraping. There are probably a lot more cuts, and the more you use this type of tool the more you find for yourself. Also I don't think there is a perfect grind, you can grind a bowl gouge from about 80deg, to 45deg on the nose. You grind for your preference, and the job in hand. That is why some turners have a lot of gouges, beats regrinding if you needed a different profile.

Apologise for dragging it out :wink:

Back