sharpening record cabinet scraper

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bill d

Established Member
Reaction score
I recently picked up a record cabinet scraper (bit like the veritas one) at a boot sale. It's got a badly worn double ended blade which I'm having trouble sharpening prior to burnishing it. (It's a lethal thing to sharpen, being double ended, and I don't like to offer it up to the wetstone grinder to get it started off in case I slice off some fingers.) Does anyone know what the bevel angle on the blade is meant to be please, and any advice on setting it up? I was fed up of scraper thumb, but is it worth the effort? many thanks, Bill

Honing angle 45 degrees.

I do not find it necessary to draw out the hook horizontally.

Burnisher, use very light force, start at 45 degrees with the blade horizontal on bench, over about 6 -8 strokes ease the burnisher progressively to 75 degrees or 15 deg from vertical, NO further.

More details on page 111 of my second book.

The performance of the tool at least doubles if you fit a Hock blade.

Mike at Classic hand tools has these, they are about the same price as the tool.

David Charlesworth www.davidcharlesworth.co.uk

Hi Bill,

In addition there's also here, and Andy's quest to get his working nicely may be helpful here and here. The picture's still up in the second link, but Uploadit may be misbehaving. :roll:

Cheers, Alf

so is that where you keep the pizza eating bears? :lol: :lol:

my thumbs a re still sore from the last time i used a card
scraper freehand, so now i use the veritas holder.
must be getting old :cry: :cry:

paul :wink:

Thanks very much, everyone. There's plenty of information there to keep me going and I'll try setting it up this evening. It is a no 80, by the way. Best wishes, Bill[/quote]

engineer one":2z6r4zw5 said:
so is that where you keep the pizza eating bears? :lol: :lol:
paul :wink:
Hah. The one I "chased" off was on my porch originally, and I followed it up the hill behind the cabin to encourage it to go further. I didn't know it got between me and the house when it tried to attack.

But, when we did go to the dump, there were times we unloaded two dumpsters away from one or more bears. Don't know if they had found any pizza though...

I too use the Veritas scraper holder often. That and I have a few wood "handles" I have used in the past. I'll see if I can dig them out of storage for a picture sometime. They allow one to bend the scraper while still protecting the fingers and thumbs from the heat build-up. Sorta simple to make a few when one is bored.

I also use goose neck scrapers for cleaning up moldings. Though I don't need to often use them for long periods, they too can heat up. Which is why at times I will simply put band-aids on my thumbs--to protect them from heat.

Take care, Mike

Back