Sharpening own saw blades

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smiffy

Established Member
Reaction score
Does anyone on the forum successfully sharpen thier own saw blades?

Is there any cheapish machines or tools that can help with this?

I remember way back when I worked in a machine shop in the eighties, the journeyman attempted to sharpen saw blades in a vice with a small flat file with some success. He needed a few attempts at it, but finally managed to get results. It did take him a while though not only to perfect it, but then to actually sharpen 80 odd teeth.

If any of you guys do this, then what about a few tips on technique and advice on what kind of file to use.

All I remember is to use wooden jaws in the vice and wear heavy gloves. Obvious these really.

I've always sharpened my own saws, its not difficult but needs practice. You need to buy a saw set and a selection of three square double ended saw files. Make up a set of saw chops to support the blade and find a couple of old, cheap saws from a car booty to practice on, but not ones that have hardened teeth. Use a good light source whilst sharpening as it can be a bit hard on the eyes. One useful tip is to use a broad permanent felt tip to mark the teeth so you know how far you've got. Have a look at Philly's site for links to show how to sharpen saws - Rob

You can get the triangular files in several locations; in the US I bought mine from Lie-Nielsen.

Harder is getting or making a saw vise. They are moderately available on eBay, though.

There is a video (NTSC only, afaik) on saw sharpening: http://members.bellatlantic.net/~vze2nwp6/saw/saws.htm

If that doesn't work for you, Frank Klausz's videos might be available in PAL; he shows saw sharpening on his "Hand Tools" video.

You can get the triangular files in several locations; in the US I bought mine from Lie-Nielsen.

Harder is getting or making a saw vise. They are moderately available on eBay, though.

There is a video (NTSC only, afaik) on saw sharpening: http://members.bellatlantic.net/~vze2nwp6/saw/saws.htm

If that doesn't work for you, Frank Klausz's videos might be available in PAL; he shows saw sharpening on his "Hand Tools" video.

Smiffy
Saw files are availablef rom Axminster here.
Try posting on the hand tools forum-you'll get more response,
Hope this helps,
Philly :D

Er...Yes...circular saws is what I meant. Sorry folks...my bad :oops:

I should have been more descriptive in my post. Oh yes, and I mean TCT tipped ones too.

The reason I am asking is because of the cost of getting a saw resharpened against just buying a cheap saw blade from EBAY. And I do not mean cheap in quality, because I managed to get a 250mm CMT for my mitre saw for £6.00 + £5 post.

I now have about 6 blades hanging on nails around my workshop, all needing resharpened which would need the hassle of sending away at high cost . If only I could do it myself :)

Thanks for your replies and apologies to all who misunderstood my rubbish post. :oops:

Well, in fairness, I *did* wonder if you meant circular blades, but just decided to post what (little) I knew about saw sharpening. :)

smiffy":2gzcwoap said:
I now have about 6 blades hanging on nails around my workshop, all needing resharpened which would need the hassle of sending away at high cost . If only I could do it myself :)
I use flat DMT diamond "sticks" for touching up carbide BS blades, shaper and router cutters. No reason why they wouldn't work on a circ blade.

I don't think it is a job where if there was chips one would want to bother. But just honing the face and doing the same number of strokes would at least get more use from them.

I now have a machine I do them on for myself, not something most woodworkers would have, though.

Take care, Mike

MikeW":1xveoq08 said:
I use flat DMT diamond "sticks" for touching up carbide BS blades, shaper and router cutters. No reason why they wouldn't work on a circ blade.

I don't think it is a job where if there was chips one would want to bother. But just honing the face and doing the same number of strokes would at least get more use from them.

Take care, Mike

I've tried, it isn't easy keeping a diamond file perfectly flat on such a narrow surface. I tried it on a biscuit blade, which is 4mm, whereas most sawblades are 2.5-3mm. I thought I was keeping it flat, and it looked like I had done a decent job--then tried cutting with it. All it did on oak was burn it.

Smiffy, do you ever get down to Glasgow? R&J Saw Services will sharpen them for £7-£8, and they do an excellent job. If you drop them off in the morning, they'll usually have them ready in the afternoon. If you phone ahead, and explain that you need them done the same day, I'm sure they'll do whatever they can to accomodate you.

Brad

smiffy":2czvmpjh said:
I managed to get a 250mm CMT for my mitre saw for £6.00 + £5 post.

If you can get brand new at that price it's hardly worth thinking about sharpening. However, once you have a stack of blunt blades you start to realise how wasteful it is not to re-sharpen. have a look in Yellow Pages for local saw sharpening services. As Brad said £6 - £8 should do it.

Saw blades are so cheap that I gave my last one to Gill when it was blunetd more than I was happy with and bought a new one for my saw.

Back