Sharpening chisels - the old way?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
it is certainly a shame that there is no grave digger emoticon, this has been to australia and back, and it still comes back to the most important thing.

IF IT WORKS FOR YOU STICK WITH IT AND ENJOY, IF IT DOESN'T
THEN LOOK AT OTHER WAYS AND FIND ONE WHICH SUITS WHAT YOU
DO AND YOUR ABILITIES. :twisted: :cry:

paul :wink:

woodbloke":1ig2eatb said:
Thread RIP, hopefully - Rob :roll: :wink:

Got to agree with you, I read the thread when it started now it's just plain
yawning.gif
yawning.gif
yawning.gif

I've done a fair bit of woodwork since I kicked off this thread so I have given my sharpening system a good trial, and I thought I'd do a progress report.
Well I have to say it has been a resounding success. It works really well - so much so that I feel that I have never had really sharp tools before. A revelation!
The only new detail is that I have brought into play a fine stone which I have had for years but never found useful - honing on it with a jig was just too slow to be worth it.
With the rounded bevel system more pressure is possible and the fine stone is very useable. It produces a shiny bevel quite easily - and for smaller chisels is all that is needed for the whole process. I think I have discovered "scary sharp" but in one single, simple process.
I am writing it up for my website here http://www.owdman.co.uk/joinery/sharpening.htm and will be adding further notes. I thought I'd do an abstract of this thread as a question and answer - so any further comments would be welcome (he said cautiously!) - PM perhaps, to avoid lengthening this thread.

cheers
Jacob

Thankyou Mr Grim, I've been having sleepless nights for the last 3 months thinking this thread had been killed prematurely, but you've performed a miracle and brought it back from the dead.

senior":1v6z9ayv said:
Thankyou Mr Grim, I've been having sleepless nights for the last 3 months thinking this thread had been killed prematurely, but you've performed a miracle and brought it back from the dead.
So you will rest easy tonight then, thats good!
Hmm praps I should have started a progress report and plug for web page as a new thread. I'd advise nobody to read all the way back through it - I know I won't.

cheers
Jacob

Latest posts

Back