Sharpening Advice: Oil stones for a mirror finish?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Jacob":24pwrp4a said:
Never tried water stones but it certainly sounds messy by all accounts, unless you are sharpening on a draining board next to a sink with running water. There's also a frost problem, according to another thread.
Oil is handy because; you get hardly any slurry as stones are harder, you need far less of it, it's easily cleaned way with old rags, it doesn't rust the tool or the swarf, doesn't dry so quickly so can be left in situ (but not for too long). Even cleaner if you use a magnet to lift off the swarf.

Yebbut unless you wear plastic gloves, you risk oily hands even just off the rags and then have to wash them as it gets transfered on to the work. I'm lucky whatever method I use as I have a sink in the workshop but not so for everyone.

I don't find waterstones especially messy btw and I don't use running water, just a syringe full to wash the swarf off. I work on an old melamine tea tray which catches any water.
Where did you get that info from regarding waterstones Jacob as I note you have never used them?

Bob

Lons":2kbhjd4q said:
Yebbut unless you wear plastic gloves, you risk oily hands even just off the rags and then have to wash them as it gets transfered on to the work.
No need to get oil on your hands at all. Perhaps you a messy worker - do you get jam all over yourself when you make a sandwich? :lol:
Where did you get that info from regarding waterstones Jacob as I note you have never used them?

Bob
as I said 'sounds messy by all accounts' i.e. other peoples' accounts.

I've used water stones for 30yrs, and I wouldn't dream of going back to oil stones. I keep them in water permanently, in a plastic box - to use I take the lid off, drop the stone on the lid, use it and put it back in the box. Once every couple of months if I think about it I put them under a running tap to wash them off. They cut quicker than oil stones but they do wear hollow more quickly, although if you are the sole user you can do a fair bit to prevent it.

No need to get oil on your hands at all. Perhaps you a messy worker - do you get jam all over yourself when you make a sandwich?

That's just a typical example of your pathetic sarcasm presumably trying unsuccessfully to be witty.

You really are a prize silly person Jacob!

Grayorm":yzwps4t3 said:
Lons":yzwps4t3 said:
What I did donkeys years ago was convert one of my wall cabinets into a "warm" cupboard by mounting a 15wt bulb inside at the bottom and linked to a rigged up timer. Worked a treat and very cheap to run if I remember. It really was jerry rigged as to protect the bulb I just drilled holes in a small tin can and stuck it down on a few dabs of silicone :oops: Bob

Cheers Bob, good idea, but trying to cut the electric bill down at the moment! :D

Hi Graham

i've just googled the question of how much to run a 15 wt bulb non stop for a year and here's the answer.

It depends how much you pay for electricity. A 15 Watt bulb would consume around 134 kWh of electricity. In the UK, electricity is around 10p a kWh, so it would cost £13.40 to run the bulb.

I haven't checked against the current electricity cost but seems pretty cheap to me as would only be used for a few hours over the winter.

As an aside, the reason I used 15 wt was I had an old bulb and fitting from a cooker hood but they are easy enough to get, otherwise it would be 25 wt I think.

cheers

Bob

Lons":2avx835d said:
No need to get oil on your hands at all. Perhaps you a messy worker - do you get jam all over yourself when you make a sandwich?

That's just a typical example of your pathetic sarcasm presumably trying unsuccessfully to be witty.

Well he does have a point. How would you get oil on your hands by simply sharpening and wiping clean?

Lons":3b8uwaks said:

And you are a rude ignorant silly person!!

Lons":p6il5w3x said:

Made me laugh anyway.
But why would you get oil on your hands if you don't want to? Explain!

Well he does have a point. How would you get oil on your hands by simply sharpening and wiping clean?

Wiping oily tools makes the rag oily and rags soik up the oil. Unless you continually change the rag then oil is transfered to the hands.

My point to Jacob was polite and not personal imo and was exactly that - MY point whether agreed with or not. All he needed to do was say why oil is not transfered and I would have taken that as a valid point but his reply was exactly as my response described it. Nothing more Noel!

So you are saying your post isn't rude?

Why would you take offence at my post when you haven't contributed to the thread Johnboy? At least both Jacob and myself have posted our thoughts on the subject raised whether we agree or not is of no relevance, it's "mostly" healthy debate.
Exactly where, when and how did I insult you personally - Just asking.

I see that Jacob has this time answered sensibly. Glad it made you laugh Jacob. :)

Bob

Lons":2r4jdppk said:

Wiping oily tools makes the rag oily and rags soik up the oil. Unless you continually change the rag then oil is transfered to the hands.
Yep you got it! It's a bit like nose-blowing. If you've got a cold you need more hankies. Not many people know this. :shock:
But there isn't that much oil involved for it to be a problem.....

Jacob":1woglh0e said:
Yep you got it! It's a bit like nose-blowing. But there isn't that much oil involved to be a problem.....

Of course I got it. Bit stumped about the jam though. I've never had a jam sandwich :lol: sounds nice. Must put try jam sandwich on the bucket list.

Maybe that's why Johnboy called me ignorant. Does jam increase intelligence?

cheers

bob

Lons":8kns924w said:

My point to Jacob was polite and not personal imo and was exactly that - MY point whether agreed with or not. All he needed to do was say why oil is not transfered and I would have taken that as a valid point but his reply was exactly as my response described it. Nothing more Noel!

So you are saying your post isn't rude?

Why would you take offence at my post when you haven't contributed to the thread Johnboy? At least both Jacob and myself have posted our thoughts on the subject raised whether we agree or not is of no relevance, it's "mostly" healthy debate.
Exactly where, when and how did I insult you personally - Just asking.

I see that Jacob has this time answered sensibly. Glad it made you laugh Jacob. :)
Thought my post would get a bite. Sleep well.

Bob

phil.p":4fuo8c8c said:
I usually wipe the blade on my clothes - dirty water makes less of a mess than dirty oil. I keep perfectly clean rags for more important things.

Yep

Just found out that taking Jacobs advice doesn't work.

Used the hankies and wiped chisels like he said and result, 1 very annoyed wife threatening divorce and an oily snitch to boot :wink:
Even saying that jacob said so and he knows best made no difference :lol:

Bob

Back