Sewing Kit

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Castanea

Established Member
Reaction score
I started looking for a lathe a couple of years ago just because I'd seen a tiny turned nutmeg box/grater and decided I wanted to make one for my partner.
I haven't quite reached the nutmeg grater stage just yet but just before Christmas I tried an acorn sewing kit and was pretty pleased with the result.
This one was meant to be the trial run but ended up being given to said partner who is chuffed - so all is well :)

It's 62mm long and 42mm at its widest point. Local cherry and walnut finished with a coat of wood wax 22

Next time I'll probably make the central needle holder separately and drill a hole to seat it in. This time I cut a very careful slot between the needle holder and the outside and it was so awkward that both the depth of the hole and the finish suffered. I was so paranoid that I was going to break the blooming thing off that I quickly reached the "sod it - let's stop before I break it" stage so only two thread reels instead of the planned three. For once though the lid fit is perfect for the job. Tight but not too tight.

The whole thing is very slightly chunky but does have quite a nice feel to it. Next time I'll try making one just a tad smaller and lighter. Mind you - given how beginner's luck works the next one will probably be a disaster!

Still: I'm pleased with this one and she's pleased too - so a result :)

Sewing-1.jpg

Sewing-2.jpg

Sewing-3.jpg

Sewing-4.jpg

Sewing-5.jpg

Sewing-6.jpg

Attachments

• Sewing-6.jpg
    Sewing-6.jpg
    80.5 KB · Views: 2,045
  • Sewing-5.jpg
    Sewing-5.jpg
    104 KB · Views: 2,045
  • Sewing-4.jpg
    Sewing-4.jpg
    99.3 KB · Views: 2,046
  • Sewing-3.jpg
    Sewing-3.jpg
    132.8 KB · Views: 2,046
  • Sewing-2.jpg
    Sewing-2.jpg
    102.2 KB · Views: 2,046
  • Sewing-1.jpg
    Sewing-1.jpg
    99.9 KB · Views: 2,049
That is lovely, well done, Sir.

I made a 'simple' acorn box with none of your clever hidden needle storage and just that nearly broke me, so I can well imagine yours was a real challenge.

Looking forward to seeing Mark 2, (then you'll get all cocky and start hand cutting threads!!)

Cheers

Greg

you will probably find that the greater is easier than the acorn!

Thanks folks

I've had a bash at threading and I'm a very long way from doing anything with it which I can get cocky about :) I do like using local wood too and neither the cherry nor the walnut will really take a thread at all well. I've tried using oil and wax to lubricate it to limit the thread crumbling and had some degree of success but getting it all to come together for a box is still beyond me. Maybe one day I'll bang my head against it some more!

The grater box should be do-able but I will need to create the actual grater bit out of some sort of metal sheet and fit it into a removable ring of some sort and they generally are threaded and tend to be very thin (I think the Victorians often used bone) so the number of problems to overcome becomes rather larger. I'll probably give it a go some time but may well try the mark II sewing kit first.

When it comes to box making the Richard Raffan book is excellent as is George Watkins' YouTube channel. I got settled in and made four boxes over Christmas and I am getting the hang of it (at last!) which is a relief after struggling for quite a while. I meant to take pics of them all but suddenly it was Christmas eve and they were all wrapped and that was that so I'll have to find the time to make some more! One day I might try the inlaid lid George showed on his YouTube video recently. If I can get one of those done nicely I probably will be just a little bit cocky :)

I just found the pics I found on the web a couple of years ago. This is the nutmeg box/grater which inspired me to buy a lathe and take up turning. It still looks a challenge (not just threaded but threaded both inside for the grater and outside for the lid - and look at the size of it compared to the nutmeg - it's tiny!)
Still - it's always nice to have something to work towards :-/

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    76.1 KB · Views: 1,802
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    69.6 KB · Views: 1,802
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    76.3 KB · Views: 1,887
Great job, I really like this. A very handy little item to have and.... special as you have personally made it.

'From little acorns.... Look forward to seeing the next project made.

That sewing kit is fantastic. Looks great, and useful too, a real pleasure to give as a gift I'd imagine. Thanks for sharing!

Brilliant sewing kit.well done you! I also like to use local timbers, cherry and walnut being among my favourites. I have chased threads in both of them with some success and a deal of failures. Sharp chasers, and super glue to harden the thread areas help. I have often used glued in inserts of Box in many of my small boxes, and you can then use this excellent threading wood to chase the thread into. Thread chasing is all about numbers and using the right wood. The more you do the easier it becomes. I've done quite a few, but I must say I'm no expert.

Back