Service wood square bowl

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

woodyturner

Established Member
Reaction score
I won two planks of this on ebay service wood also known as Checker wood on it is one of the rarest Tree of our ancient woodland of this country it is so sweet to turn with ribbons flying over your shoulder I wish I had gone after more of it, it is 11" x 2" the four corners are just of the surface of the table

Attachments

• DSCF0579 (2).JPG
    DSCF0579 (2).JPG
    71.4 KB · Views: 748
  • DSCF0580 (2).JPG
    DSCF0580 (2).JPG
    41.6 KB · Views: 748
That is Nice I Think Its uniform and looks Neat well done Woody keep em Flying off The Lathe =D> =D> =D> =D>
Regards
Bill

Nice looking bowl and finish is super. Please can you give the botanical name of the tree from which the wood came.Regards Roger C

Roger C":2klibgfk said:
Nice looking bowl and finish is super. Please can you give the botanical name of the tree from which the wood came.Regards Roger C
Sorbus torminalis (syn. Torminalis clusii, Wild Service Tree), sometimes known as the Chequer(s) Tree or Checker(s) Tree, is a species of Sorbus native to Europe from England and Wales east to Denmark and Poland, south to northwest Africa, and southeast to southwest Asia from Asia Minor to the Caucasus and Alborz mountains.[1][2]
It is a medium-sized deciduous tree growing to 15–25 m tall, with a trunk up to 1.3 m diameter. The bark is smooth and greyish, but flaky, peeling away in squarish plates to reveal darker brown layers. The leaves are 6–14 cm long and broad with a 2.5–5 cm petiole, dark green on both sides, with five to nine acute lobes; the basal pair of lobes are spreading, the rest more forward-pointing and decreasing in size to the leaf apex, and with finely toothed margins; the undersides have small hairs when young, but both sides are smooth and shiny when older; the autumn colour is yellow to red-brown. The flowers are 10–15 mm diameter, with five white petals and 20 creamy-white stamens; they are produced in corymbs 5–12 cm diameter in late spring to early summer, and are hermaphrodite and insect pollinated. The fruit is a globose to ovoid pome 10–15 mm diameter, greenish to russet or brown, patterned with small pale lenticel spots when mature in mid to late autumn.

This gives me inspiration :)
Lovely work, very unusual and an excellent idea to keep the Bark around the edges too!

Latest posts

Back