MAC Timbers open day

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Escudo

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
Hello all,

I thought it would be nice to give a good word to Mike Cawthorne and Rene (Mike's partner) who I met on Sunday at their workshop and wood yard open day in Lower Benefield, a small village west of Oundle, near Peterborough.

The day started with a bit of excitement as the main A605 road to Oundle was closed due to flooding. I found a route round the closed road which involved driving through a flooded country lane. Many cars could not get through and had to turn back, but my Landrover made easy work of the watery obstruction, much to my satisfaction. Water everywhere.

Mike's timber yard is next to his lovely old farmhouse and near the church, A courtyard of outbuildings each well stocked with local English timber. Lots of Oak, quartersawn and brown. Ash, Elm, Chestnut, Walnut, Beech, Yew etc. All really nice and well figured, interesting timber. Lots of bowl blanks and off cuts of burrs.

Mike took me and a couple of fellas through his field to the saw mill where we passed numerous local trees cut and in stick. Mike explained the process and talked about each tree. I liked the fact that he remembered where each had come from. We saw a Monkey Puzzle tree and some Bog Oak from the fens I think. Carbon dated to 4000 years old if I remember correctly. Planks of Oak 20" wide, in one stack which caught my eye.

Mike gave us a quick demonstration of his impressive "old school" bandsaw which sliced through a large Elm tree like butter. We then watched a really old bandsaw with a big blade make light work of a chock of oak. Impressive sliding table with wheels!

Back at the workshop a few local turners were giving demonstrations and in the nearby village hall their were stalls and demonstrations. Brian Jackson the well known tool collector had a stall selling loads of carving and turning chisels. Bill Carter was there and also Oldsoke from our forum on his lathe.

A really relaxed and friendly atmosphere about the place, not many people about, but a steady flow throughout the afternoon.

I purchased some nice quartersawn oak for a desk project I have in mind, and also a really nice chunk of spalted Beech, perfect for a couple of boxes.

A real enjoyable day out and throughly recommended. A sort of mini Yandles, without the commercial tool outlets etc.

I wish I had taken some pictures on my phone, but just didn't think. I think Mike runs three or four shows a year and I will definitely go again.

Hope this is of interest.

Cheers, Tony.

I didn't realise MAC timbers was so close to me, I live in Huntingdon.

Until now most of y woodworking has been with reclaimed timbers but I'm looking for a local and friendly hardwood supplier. Not having bought much in the way of timber are you prepared to divulge what the approx cost/rate is for QSO?

What is the beas way to approach, a phone call to Mikes yard first or can I just turn up and peruse/buy.

Many thanks

David

Hi Tony,

I always wonder if there are any forumites there while I'm there.
If you remember a chap in a cap brandishing a holdfast and talking to Richard Arnold and Bill Carter rather too much for the liking of the woman behind him trying desperately to remind him his tea was getting cold; that was me. :)

I did succumb to the Brian Jackson 7 for £40 chisel deal and if I ever find my camera I'll take some photos.

Oh Richard, sorry I missed you on Sunday. Although, I am sure we will have a chance to catch up in the future, perhaps at one of next years open days.

Thanks Andy for posting those pictures. Brings this thread to life a bit. I must get in the habit of taking some pictures on my travels. (hammer)

Cheers, Tony.

Back