serious road traffic incident.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

doubleb

Established Member
Reaction score
Can I ask, has anyone on here filmed a serious road traffic incident on a dash-cam and reported it to the police, if so, how did it go and what was the out-come?.....bb

Not me, however I have seen some of those sites such as idiotdriversuk reporting that police have convicted drivers following video evidence

doubleb":1g83th4j said:
Can I ask, has anyone on here filmed a serious road traffic incident on a dash-cam and reported it to the police, if so, how did it go and what was the out-come?.....bb
The person with this evidence is really duty bound to offer it to the police. Imagine if you were the innocent party involved such an incident and someone withheld evidence.

Don't you just love the Law?

Can't film here, mustn't use a camera there, photos forbidden everywhere.

One incident and they are pleading for pics or footage from Joe Public.

In the UK you can film or photograpgh any public place or activity provided it is not within the bounds of DORA 1911 and subsequent upgrades. Only other proviso is that if any subjects are under 16 or the photo will be used for commercial reasons then a model release from each person in the shot must be obtained where reasonable. So doesn't include footy mathces etc

I was discussing the subject of why there are so many dash-cam films on Youtube from Russia with a Romanian friend of mine. He suggested that the legal system and public were so corrupt that filmed evidence was the only way you were likely to get justice.

Incidentally, there was a discussion last year on this site where a motorcyclist was killed by someone doing an illegal move on the road, recorded by the motorcyclist's camera. The general consensus was that he deserved it because he had been driving above the notified speed limit before the incident and that he was on a motorcycle. Even though he was successfully prosecuted In fact the opinions of most was that the non-dead person was more of a victim than the dead person.

I would say that dash-cam evidence is still open to debate.

Photography laws are incredibly relaxed in this country. Most 'no filming' notices are suggestions and not enforceable in court.

In fact, a girl I don't know particularly well posted on social media a few weeks ago that a guy had photographed her on the tram. Judging by the account he was an arty student type probably trying his hand at street photography but she attempted to make an example of him. She had no legal basis for doing so, and only would have if the photography had become aggressive enough to constitute harassment. He apparently only took one photo, which she then tried to make him delete from his camera, which was film rather than digital. She took a photo of him in response so she could publicly shame him, which was probably more illegal than what he had done.

All the comments and replies were along the lines of 'what a creep' even though he was probably just trying to take something that he could have a go at developing in the uni dark room and she happened to be in the background.

Interesting, thanks for the input, this was a case of very dangerous driving, no one was hurt and no accident
occurred but could have had a very different outcome. This person should not be on the roads.

make a video of it, then edit it with irfanview to lose all the original data, then go to an internet cafe and email it to the cops anonymously.

But of course, then it wont be taken seriously.

But if the offender is a real offender, you dont want him knowing who you are.

Witnessed a builder snatching a camera from someone a few years back due to misinformation.

Why? He was installing a drop kerb for someone without the required planning in central Bristol, the person taking a photo was gathering photographic evidence as they were a neighbour who was aware of the lack of planning. This was all to the shouts of "it's illegal to take my photo".

Police arrived, gave the neighbour back the camera, I went back inside at that point, no more gawping to be had.

The drop kerb was uninstalled by the end of that day.

doubleb":r29qrmsx said:
Interesting, thanks for the input, this was a case of very dangerous driving, no one was hurt and no accident
occurred but could have had a very different outcome. This person should not be on the roads.
Answer these questions
Are you qualified to say,
1. 'A case of very dangerous driving' and,
2. 'This person should not be on the roads'?
I assume your not, stop beating yourself up over this, hand the video footage to the police, let them decide the outcome, if this person drives in that manner again and hurts someone how will you feel then?
I make no apologises for my bluntness, I'm an ex fireman been to far too many RTA's over my 24+ years service, seen far too many innocent drivers and children killed or seriously injured through no fault of their own, just being in the wrong place at the wrong time.
I shopped a neighbour for drink driving, he was that drunk he had to stop and concentrate stepping off the kerb, nice bloke, but an alcoholic, it was 15.00hrs, the time when kids would be coming out of school, didn't feel any guilt whatsoever, I would shop a mate if he or she had too much to drink in the pub if they didn't hand over their car keys, obviously I'd warn them first.

Stew

i would copy the file, without any editing whatsoever, onto a DVD-R disc and take it to my local police station for them to make a judgement call. Any editing could be used in court as possible doctoring of the evidence although if necessary forensics would probably prove exactly what was and wasn't edited.

bugbear":2k8gnmbe said:
Do you have a tinfoil hat as well?

I know my rights as a photographer. I have also been a 'victim' of police bullying regarding my rights as a photographer.

My earlier post was from a personal POV.

Normally I let this sort of thing go over the top of my head but this silly person was tailgating me for about a quarter of a mile waving his arms about and gesturing me to go faster. I was doing 30 in a 30 limit, approached traffic lights where he passed me at a double junction and then ran a red light. I had to wait for about 4 or 5 mins for the lights to change and at the next set of lights, there he was in the right hand turn only lane, what did he do, he raced straight ahead and cut in front of the queue.
I have always said, I would rather these sort of idiots are in front of you than driving up your rear so let them go.
I am never intimidated no matter what they drive, I drive a 4x4 V8 4.6 so can match most other road users.
I too was hospitalised for over 12 months with a broken back plus other injuries thanks to an silly person driver pulling out in front of me so been there and done that.
The CD seems a good idea, might just do that, it could save a life.

I had a similar incident a while ago. Three lanes full of traffic doing 75 and this silly person is about 1ft from my tail. Eventually when I could move over I did, my wife got the reg and exact time and I had the location. A email to the Police and I assume they looked at CC TV because they paid him an educational visit at work, as it was a works van.

Personally, I'd send the whole recording to them - they might not prosecute but I bet they will take the time to visit.

Brian

It's down to the police and PCS to decide if there is enough evidence. Let them see it and don't worry about it.

I have capture two things of note on my dashcam

1 A silly person on a moped who was ahead of me and going way too fast he didn't make the corner and skidded off up a gravel path. By the time he came off it was a low speed event and I think he dented more pride than anything else.

The other was as I pulled up outside my house I could see a light coming towards me. I was waiting for my wife to shuffle cars so watched it as it grew nearer. It went past some bushes before appearing in front of me. I put my full beam (including 240w LED light bar) on and saw a naked guy (except for a bow tie), carrying a lantern pursed buy about a dozen middle aged women. He did a little dance in the lights and then continued on his way still pursed by the women. It was most surreal.

One thing I didn't capture but wish I had was the two occasions when I have faced cars going the wrong way on the motorway. Most people fortunately never experience it but I've had it twice! Once on the M27 at about 6.30am on a Sunday and once on the A3 at about 8pm at night. I know the one the A3 ended in a crash with an innocent car and put a mother and her daughter in hospital. Never heard about the other one.

Police never called me as a witness despite asking if I would and me saying I would. I think it was a very elderly guy driving so I wonder if he just had his licence removed or worse still if he didn't make it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

post the video here and lets see it (to the OP and the one with the naked dancing man!)

Back