September Woodturning Challenge - POST YOUR ENTRIES HERE

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

henton49er

Established Member
Reaction score
PLEASE POST YOUR ENTRIES FOR THE SEPTEMBER WOODTURNING CHALLENGE ON THIS THREAD

The September Challenge is for “a pair”. Paul Hannaby has kindly agreed to judge this month’s Challenge, and there will be a plaque for first place, kindly made for us by forum member Daven. Many thanks to both!! =D> =D> =D>

Challenge Requirements: A Pair

This month’s rules are:-

1. The Challenge is open to anyone and everyone.
Entries must be new and made specifically for the Challenge.
Entries must be made of wood which must be turned on a lathe using woodturning tools.
2. For the purposes of this challenge a pair is defined as two matching pieces (matching in terms of size, form, finish, decoration, grain pattern (within the limits of natural variations)
3. There are no size restrictions this month
4. Segmented turning, piercing and carving are all allowed.
5. Colouring, pyrography and texturing are allowed, but the principal requirement is for the judge to be able to see your turning skills, and to gauge the form and finish of your entry, and to judge how accurately your two turnings make a matched pair
6. Any wood may be used, but the essence of this month’s Challenge is for a matched pair

Please post 3 images of your work along with a brief note about how you made it (them?), what wood, tools and finishes you used and the dimensions of your entry (hopefully both will be the same!!!). :lol: :lol:

Images needed:-

1 showing a general side view of the pair placed side by side
1 bottom view of both
1 top view of both
A fourth picture may be added (but is not compulsory) if needed to show any other interesting details of your entry.

Image size - please use image size 640 x 480 0.3mp, as in previous challenges

Please upload your pictures and description between 10pm on the 26th September and 10pm on the 28th September.

Please also send me a PM giving me your own opinions of 1st, 2nd and 3rd places amongst the entries (other than your own) between 10pm on 28th September and 10pm on 30th September (for me to compile the entrants’ scoring).

Roundup

Liquer goblet in quillted soft maple, same as last month. Used a spindle gouge and scraper, finished with wax and buffed using the Oneway system. 4" high and 2" at the rim, not happy with the result but have no more time. thanks

Attachments

• P1020290.JPG
    P1020290.JPG
    141.4 KB · Views: 1,137
  • P1020289.JPG
    P1020289.JPG
    142.8 KB · Views: 1,137
  • P1020288.JPG
    P1020288.JPG
    151.1 KB · Views: 1,137
Since I use a Myford Super 7 engineering lathe, I’ve not entered the monthly competitions thinking that I broke the first rule - even though I do use wood-working tools on a 10mm sq bar held in the tool-post - but since entries have been lacking I thought I’d see if an entry would be barred - nothing ventured, nothing gained!

These egg cups are made from a 2" Zebrano spindle blank and an Imbura offcut using a 3/8 spindle gouge, 1/2" round nose scrapper and a 3mm trepanning tool. They were sanded from 240 down to 600 grit, given two coats of Sanding Sealer, sanded back at 600 grit between and after coats and waxed with a mixture of Bees and Canuba,

Finished size:
66mm high, 48mm O/D, 42mm I/D - ‘waist’ 32mm dia. foot 45mm dia x 14mm high

Attachments

• Egg Cups - 4.png
    Egg Cups - 4.png
    252.5 KB · Views: 1,115
  • Egg Cups - 2.png
    Egg Cups - 2.png
    190.7 KB · Views: 1,115
  • Egg Cups - 3.png
    Egg Cups - 3.png
    182.7 KB · Views: 1,115
  • Egg Cups - 1.png
    Egg Cups - 1.png
    192.9 KB · Views: 1,115
I had a job to decide what to make for this challenge, nothing seemed to fit. Eventually though I drew up a pair of bud vases, found an ancient lump of Yew and set to work.

They are 103mm in height and 47mm wide

Tools used were: Roughing gouge, 1/4 and 3/8 spindle gouges, parting tool and a homemade Vortex tool

Finish is shellac.

Attachments

• Challenge-2.jpg
    Challenge-2.jpg
    83.8 KB · Views: 1,096
  • Challenge-3.jpg
    Challenge-3.jpg
    63.9 KB · Views: 1,096
  • Challenge-1.jpg
    Challenge-1.jpg
    101 KB · Views: 1,096
This is my entry. They are a pair of salt and pepper mills made in roughly the same shape as the old salt and pepper shaker style, turned from ash and stand 6 1/2" tall and 2" diameter. I used roughing gauge, spindle gauges and skew chisel. All drilling was done on the lathe. The finish is sander sealer and melamine lacquer.

c6aa2849-6e08-4666-9a95-12a6ed9e25eb_zpse4516a36.jpg

ffeaaa0a-742d-4874-ac71-b94f26fde5dc_zps4e4e9548.jpg

edab83b6-141b-4376-97e5-50020359ec0a_zps93016bd4.jpg

A pair of candlesticks

These are made from a couple of pieces of sycamore. The spindles were turned first and after creating the design of the first one with roughing gouge, hollowing tool, spindle and bowl gouges and a beading tool I then discovered just how tough it was to make a pair! The second spindle is the third attempt, the first two not getting beyond the candle holder bowl before it went wrong and I'd burst through the bowl - thankfully the blank was long enough to complete the second spindle eventually.

The bases were then turned out of a larger piece of sycamore using a bowl gouge and small scraper before creating holes in the middle to fit the feet of the spindles. Everything was sanded to 600 grit before two coats of sanding sealer and a buff with my Beale system finishing with Carnuba wax before fitting the brass candle holders into the tops.

Overall height of the candlesticks is 238 mm and the base diameter is 79 mm

A bit rushed as I only managed the spindles before going on holiday and only got back yesterday evening, so I've been a bit busy today and didn't have any time to buy a pair of candles to put in them ;-)

Attachments

• candlestick_bottom.jpg
    candlestick_bottom.jpg
    87.5 KB · Views: 1,005
  • candlestick_top.jpg
    candlestick_top.jpg
    121.7 KB · Views: 1,005
  • candelsticks_side.jpg
    candelsticks_side.jpg
    125.7 KB · Views: 1,005
Status
Not open for further replies.